If someone buy me the headphone (any price), but not the amp and CD player, which one of the follwoing should I choose - HD600,T90,HD800,T1?
Apr 23, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 25
When I was looking for a new player, I started this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/704216/please-recommend-a-solid-cd-player-max-1700. You might find something useful on it.

Thanks a lot, it helps. But I am going to buy a decent amp (around $700 range), so I might need a higher-end player.
wink_face.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 25

Is this high-end enough? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling3/t200.html 
biggrin.gif
 (It will not leave any cash for your amp though)

L3000.gif
It is too high-end. but I will consider it if I don't want to upgrade in the future...but according to you, the mechanical parts are vulnerable so I prefer to buy a less expensive one and upgrade later...
In a few days, I am going to the home of Shanling - Shenzhen, China. Hopefully I will try some of the models you recommended.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 25

L3000.gif
It is too high-end. but I will consider it if I don't want to upgrade in the future...but according to you, the mechanical parts are vulnerable so I prefer to buy a less expensive one and upgrade later...
In a few days, I am going to the home of Shanling - Shenzhen, China. Hopefully I will try some of the models you recommended.
bigsmile_face.gif

If you have the extra time, drop by any showroom with Aurum Cantus, and try them out with Shanling and Cayin. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #22 of 25
I, too, prefer the soundstage of HD800 for orchestral and the intimacy and tone of HD600 for piano. T1 bored me and I haven't tried the other yet. (You can see my favorites in my profile.)

If T1 bores you that means that both Sennheisers, HD600 and HD800, must put you to sleep after a few minutes because, compared to T1, HD600 is really bland and dull and Hd800 is a bit better than HD600 but is also bland compared to T1. Also T1 presents a better piano tonality than both Sennheisers.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #23 of 25
If T1 bores you that means that both Sennheisers, HD600 and HD800, must put you to sleep after a few minutes because, compared to T1, HD600 is really bland and dull and Hd800 is a bit better than HD600 but is also bland compared to T1. Also T1 presents a better piano tonality than both Sennheisers.

Maybe I was listening to one of those bad T1s: with Beyer's comparatively high degree of production variation, you never know what you're getting. HD800 is a little bright and I don't go in for the wow effect that it and the Audezes have. HD600 gets almost nothing wrong. I could live with it and nothing else except a pair of Grados for organ music.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 25

Check the specs for those. If the USB input is in front, and it's USB-A (the flat one, not the square), it's for a USB drive, not a PC. Some of those take only 320kbps MP3.

Yes, of course it doesn't happen to everybody. It's just that if you get that bad luck, it can be very frustrating, especially if you have to ship a huge and heavy CDP, or need to get parts. The CDM-4 Philips transport for example was used in a lot of good CDPs  but the tray gear breaks all the time. Past these of course the other things that have driven the switch over to other devices as digital tranports are massive storage options and better UI on newer products. HDD-based music servers actually have been around a lot longer, except it's a PITA to use with a speaker system because you'd need to navigate 120GB++ of music on a tiny screen - the convenience of not having to get up to switch discs is negated by having to get up to see the CDP-type display navigating several folders (think of all those iPod transports, but in a dedicated 2ch set-up, where no HT equipment like the TV is there to serve as its display). Nowadays, the newer audio servers don't have the cumbersome OS and hardware of a fullblown computer, but they can have their own local storage and/or even tap into a wireless network, which allows access to an NAS drive as well as remote control apps that give you the same UI as the player apps on that tablet or smartphone. Even HT receivers can do this now.

I bought a Yulong D200 for my HD650, and a SCD200se for my speakers. Hopefully I will get a independent headphone amp next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back