If No One Uses EQ, Why The Desire For Players With Custom EQ?
Sep 11, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you getting that impression?

You can count me as that 1 in 10, btw (that say "EQ ON"). I think EQ has its uses and see no reason not to use it. I'm talking about the parametric EQ that is provided in Rockbox, btw.

X2 I EQ also as i find that EQing makes my music come to life. I use Sony X1060 and Um3x which are supposed to close to natural and neutral. So bottom line it depends on your preference ( Like automatic Vs manual tranny in a car
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 43
I don't EQ, because EQ on my Rockboxed Sansa E280 makes it sound like I'm listening to an old LP (i.e., it sounds muffled, distorted, and crackly). I think it's as much as the Sansa's pitiful innards can handle just to keep up with my high bitrate files, let alone apply EQ processing. And don't get me started on what listening to music and simultaneously playing a casual game of "xobox" is like.

Using my Sansa is sort of like driving a '92 Cavalier station wagon; it's a little outdated, it's not the most attractive thing around, it's lacking in fit and finish, nothing ever feels smooth, and overall it just feels a bit too sluggish... but the basics are all there, and it gets the job done... if not zealously.

I can't wait to move on!
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #33 of 43
I'd like someone to fess up as to why they get angry when other people use an EQ. I've seen it many times on this board and many other boards people literally get in arguments and get mad if someone else uses an EQ. Those People usually say that you aren't listening to the music the way the artist intended and generally get offended and angry about it.

I just don't understand that way of thinking.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #36 of 43
To each their own! It was not mentioned that many people may have some form of hearing loss and use EQ to make up for it. My 50+ old ears are down overall and have lost some high frequency. I step up the highs a bit to get a better overall balanced sound.
I also see many so called "audiofiles", who want flat response from their equipment for uncolored reproduction, recommend the D2. Got news for you, it's non EQ settings are far from flat, it has a modified response curve. It is designed in to make up for deficiencies in human hearing.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 43
I dig the EQ's on my arsenal of Walkmen, also considering that if not EQ'ed the overall volume comes in weak, especially with older (circa-1983-95) master CDs (not including "remastered" CDs). My units run only 5mW per channel, so I use the EQ as a volume booster, and even with that, it still can only run cans, buds or IEM's that are 24 ohms or less, otherwise I would have to use my FiiO E5 inline with it t boost the overall volume, besides, some of my cans/buds/IEM's sound better with an EQ, (I highly recommend the customizable EQ's rather than the factory presets).

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 43
I EQ depending on the player, and it's my personal preference to do so or not. I find that people who "brag" about not using the EQ mostly don't do it to fit into the "audiophile" genre. Me, it's a matter of taste.

My Zune has no EQ, sounds great, my 5.5G iPod has an EQ, and I like the "Rock" setting, but choose to keep it off, my S639, I EQ my MDR-V6's so they don't sound like a tin can. Really, different players, different cans/iem's have different needs. It's all about the choice baby, so if you don't like the EQ, don't use it.

But, it's nice to HAVE a choice!!!! Would you all like to drink the coffee the same way, or some like a little sugar to sweeten things up a bit.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #39 of 43
Well a lot of times EQ can lead to distortion which is why I don't like to use it. Like I used to like using the R and B EQ on my ipod before I got good headphones. I realized after that it creates a lot of distortion that can be heard through the phones.

However, on my iRiver Clix I turn the mids up slightly because my x10 has a recessed midrange. When done slightly, you don't really hear distortion (or at least I don't).

So I think it's ok to use EQ, but using it too much can lead to a decrease in SQ. However, of course maybe some people prefer it that way (not a bash, just stating people have different opinions).

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #40 of 43
Last comment: Stating that an EQ adds nothing but distortion is false, since if it's properly implemented on a DAP it will enhance the SQ. And using any iPod EQ as a reference is not a good example. The clix, that's a better point of view.

The Cowon, Sony, and Samsung DAP's all have varying degrees of quality in their EQ implementation. The S9's EQ is fantastic, as well as my S639. My Touch 2G, the EQ was sheer crap.

There's plenty of other players that can be used for either side of the discussion, but a blanket statement that all EQ's distort is wrong.

Like I've said, it's all about choice - should I decide for you? I think not, and the same goes for the other way around.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #41 of 43
IMO sometimes tweaking abit makes you appreciate the music in a different flavor, something like adding a bit more salt to soup.

I only tweak pop, hip-hop, rap. not others.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #42 of 43
I have read through all posts on the thread. There two groups: support EQ and againts EQ. My opions is none are wrong.

The problem is why need EQ? My understand is the incapable DAP need a EQ to have some synergy capability with some earphones or have some additional stress for some frequency. Mostly use the EQ for more bass or highs.

Most of DAPs are belong to low fi audio gear. that means these DAP can't have a very perfect highs, mids, and bass balanced. Normally the bass is diffiuclt to satisfy the listeners requirement for the weak amp power. So to EQ the bass will delight somebody.

Why most of the hi end home amps has no EQ? obvios the amp have enough strength to deal with the frequencies.

AMP3 is one of few DAP without EQ but allmost all the owners approve it is a decent DAP, which have very balance sound signatures and have a very wide phones synergy. The bass is tight and punch, and mid is details and the highs is extended and smooths.

So EQ issues is depended on the different DAP's capbility and different personal's hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back