if i'm using the modi/magni, would DT770 250ohm sound better than DT770 32 ohm headphones?
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jadenx2

New Head-Fier
i have a pair of DT770 32 ohm pros but with the modi/magni i can't hear too much of a difference. just wondering if i should return my 32ohm pair and get something with higher impedance. thanks in advance.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 5
with that being said, is it even worth using the modi/magni with a 32ohm pair of headphones? i don't hear too much of a difference using the schiit combo.

Okay couple of questions:

1) what is your source PC/Mac
2) what quantity are your source files?

It might be that your existing set up without the moid/Magni is able to drive the DT 770 just perfectly as the cans are 32 Ohms.

It also might be that the source files your are listening to don't allow you to hear much of a difference.

I wouldn't change to 250 Ohms if the 32 is already working well. An amp can even help a 16 ohm headphone to sound better, it all depends on the current needed AND the ohms...

Cheers,
K

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
You do not hear much of a difference between what exactly?

Just the two headphones?

The 32 Ohm headphone through your PC and then the Schiit stack?

Almost any gear will not give a significant sound quality difference between different impedance headphones of the exact same design.  There can be differences, but because your gear sounds virtually identical with each set, there is no need to return a specific one.

The lower impedance headphone will be easier to drive with a portable device and the higher impedance will be a little easier to drive with a dedicated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back