If I were to Sell/Trade my Grado HF-1's, what would you suggest in their place?
Sep 18, 2009 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I adore my HF-1's, but my inability to wear them for extended periods of time is real drawback (pads). Furthermore, the pad alternatives have all been tried and just dont do it for me. Headphile option too expensive...

Assuming I wanted to sell/trade for them, two questions:

1) What are their current market worth/value? (mint condition; #426)
2) Assuming I can only afford to have ONE pair of cans; what to buy in their place (with the proceeds)?

Keep in mind I need a real workhorse as I listen to a wide variety of genres equally. Metal, Rock, Electronic, Classical and Jazz.

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 8
I would suggest the HF-2's but you don't like the pads? A good recommendation for headphones that play well with everything (wide genres of music) would be the HD 600. Comfortable too so you don't have to worry about the bowls scaring and callousing your ears!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 8
C'mon peoples, where's the love?

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 8
HF-2

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind I need a real workhorse as I listen to a wide variety of genres equally. Metal, Rock, Electronic, Classical and Jazz.

... I thought HF-1 is all you be needin

But if you must look else where how about Beyer DT880, 600Ohm variant.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 8
The HF-2 is out if you have a comfort issue.

For a wide variety of music, I'd look at either the Sennheiser HD-600 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. I'd lean slightly towards the DT880 because they have a slightly more forward presentation that's similar to a Grado, but more balanced overall.

A dark horse might be the Sony MDR-SA5000. You'll either love or hate them, but I'm a fan. They're fast, transparent, cover a lot of genres well and are really damn comfortable. One of the most comfortable I have, right up there with the HD-800. Speaking of which, I'd recommend the HD-800, but you'd have to invest a bit more to get one.

Also, what amp and source are you using?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp, source, budget?

Id like to only use the proceeds of the sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I thought HF-1 is all you be needin

But if you must look else where how about Beyer DT880, 600Ohm variant.

Touche; i need to change that to "all I was needin".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HF-2 is out if you have a comfort issue.

For a wide variety of music, I'd look at either the Sennheiser HD-600 or the Beyerdynamic DT880. I'd lean slightly towards the DT880 because they have a slightly more forward presentation that's similar to a Grado, but more balanced overall.

A dark horse might be the Sony MDR-SA5000. You'll either love or hate them, but I'm a fan. They're fast, transparent, cover a lot of genres well and are really damn comfortable. One of the most comfortable I have, right up there with the HD-800. Speaking of which, I'd recommend the HD-800, but you'd have to invest a bit more to get one.

Also, what amp and source are you using?

I currently do not use an amp with my HF-1. Im using it straight out of my laptop (via an Audio Advantage Micro) or, straight out of my Ipod.

Money and I dont get along these days so i'd like to solely use the proceeds of my HF-1 sale to purchase my next set.
Im fairly certain both the HD600 and DT880 need amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back