If I liked Yoshimi will I like Soft Bulletin?
Jan 5, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 25
There's a dvd-v of zaireeka that is DEFINITELY worth tracking down. It's even got a "chaos" mix, where the timing is intentionally slightly off...

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 25
yeah, we did a zaireeka party in college, was a pain to organise and incredibly lo-fi (imagine a $50 boombox in one corner and all five of my best friend's terrible PC speakers in the other corner, I don't remember what the other two devices were but they were similarly pants). Some of the effects are fun, but I do think a nice 5.1 version will be a lot easier to cope with
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 25
As for Soft Bulletin US / UK, I'm looking at the track listing now and it seems they have (possibly) different versions of Buggin', the UK has Slow Motion instead of The Spiderbite Song, and the track order is slightly different (Buggin' is at the end of the UK version, it's track 5 on the US, everything else is in the same order). You can see the different listings on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com. I have the UK version, I should pick up the US to go along with it...I wonder what'll happen with the 5.1 version, will it be different in each country or the same? Which one will it be? Hmm!

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #19 of 25
replying to yourself is fun!

So I checked flaminglips.com, it seems the 5.1 version will be a mix of the two - it's got both Slow Motion and The Spiderbite Song, but the alternate mixes of Race For The Prize and Waitin' For A Superman are dropped, so it's 13 tracks in all. Track list:

1. Race For The Prize
2. A Spoonful Weighs A Ton
3. The Spark That Bled
4. Slow Motion
5. What Is The Light
6. The Observer
7. Waitin' For A Superman
8. Suddenly, Everything Has Changed
9. The Gash
10. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
11. Sleeping On The Roof
12. The Spiderbite Song
13. Buggin'

should be an interesting change. The extras include several of the tracks from the Companion, not all of them but some of the best. Whee, definitely looking forward to it!

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 25
Hm. I'm worried about Spiderbite and Buggin' being at the end, as they hardly seem strong/definite enough to close out an album. Granted, they're not bad songs, but Buggin' hardly feels like the end of something in the way that Waitin' For A Superman is.

I'll agree with the sentiment that Soft Bulletin is a little better than Yoshimi, ESPECIALLY so as an album - you really start to get that once you get half way through the Spark That Bled.

However, I prefer Clouds Taste Metallic to either at this point, and for some reason I prefer that album ACTUALLY using crappier speakers (or, at least, not ultra-detailed Senns/Grados). It just feels better a little rougher, especially the second track. It's the only album I feel that way about that I own, though.

Really, if you were to get one Lips album, I would recommend Soft Bulletin nonetheless, because it's just so complete.

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaireboy
I'm looking forward to the 5.1 mix of Soft Bulletin coming out at the end of the month! IMHO, this was their best effort. Waiting for Superman... Wow!

P.S. This new version will include the items from the Soft Bulletin companion (which was fantastic BTW).

I love my DVD-A of Yoshimi, so the new SB should be very sweet.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #23 of 25
Spiderbite song is the best song on SB. Get it for that track alone!

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #24 of 25
I've heard Spiderbite Song on the companion and didn't think it was anything special (I prefer many songs off SB and many other things off the companion, e.g. The Captain). But then it might just be "what you're used to" syndrome - when I was at school I used a walkman on the journey to school and when taping my CDs they would often be more than 45 minutes (I suspect record companies of arranging for albums to be around 50 minutes long to frustrate home tapers, but hey, I've got a tinfoil hat too) so I'd have to cut one song. Since I listened way more on the walkman than I did to my CDs at home, listening to the 'real' version of the album always felt weird. For e.g. on The Bends I cut out Bones, and for years after, whenever I listened to the full album, Bones seemed a bit weird and out of place.
smily_headphones1.gif
Only just got over that a year or two ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back