If I liked Yoshimi will I like Soft Bulletin?
Jan 3, 2006 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I think Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is fantastic, if irritating to listen to sq wise. Do you think I'd like any other TFL albums? Care to recommend other albums?

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 25
Everyone should love the Soft Bulletin. It is somewhat different stylistically from Yoshimi, but I really can't imagine you not liking it.

The Lips' early stuff is, to be honest, pants and massively, massively lo-fi, but their mid-90s stuff is pretty darn nice. I like Hit To Death In The Future Head and Transmissions From The Satellite Heart quite a lot.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 25
I really like The Soft Bulletin. It has a different vibe than Yoshimi, of course, but it sounds like The Flaming Lips' you loved on the Yoshimi disc. Unlike some of their much older stuff, which, like AdamWill mentioned, is very lo-fi (which I don't mind) and a lot... dirtier/heavy?/less spacey and stylized than Yoshimi/TSB (which I mind).

Also, you can check out their newish single (it was on the Wedding Crashers soundtrack, believe it or not) "Mr. Ambulance Driver." Lovely song!

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 25
I really like Yoshimi, but have always thought that The Soft Bulletin is a far superior album (IMHO).

Although thinking about them now, makes me want to play them both
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 25
not to diss on yoshimi, I did enjoy that album but when it came out i kind of felt like it was a stale version of the soft bulletin. The two albums have a very similar sound however there just seems to be a little more srtucture and purpose to the songs. Also if you get the import there are two other songs that aren't featured on the amarican CD. Those two songs were released however on the amarican LP if you can find it, but GOOD LUCK!

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 25
The Flaming Lips albums all share the soul of Wayne Coyne, the lead singer/songwriter for the band. I think if you connect with any of the albums on an emotional level, chances are you'll like them all. If you're hung up on style or feel, it's a little trickier. But Soft Bulletin is a wonderful album, and I can't imagine that anyone who likes Yoshimi wouldn't at least appreciate TSB on some level.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 25
aaron: the American and European releases were alternates, one wasn't a bonus version of the other - they each have at least one track that the other doesn't (the details are a bit fuzzy in my head).

BTW, if you like The Soft Bulletin, it's _definitely_ worth tracking down The Soft Bulletin Companion, which was some kind of promo / radio promo with a bunch of cut tracks, live performances and stereo mixdowns of some of the Zaireeka tracks. Great stuff.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 25
I'm looking forward to the 5.1 mix of Soft Bulletin coming out at the end of the month! IMHO, this was their best effort. Waiting for Superman... Wow!

P.S. This new version will include the items from the Soft Bulletin companion (which was fantastic BTW).

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 25
i loved Yoshimi when i first heard it, but upon first listen of THe Soft Bulletin i was not impressed. took awhile to 'get' it, but even still i feel yoshimi tops SB.

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
aaron: the American and European releases were alternates, one wasn't a bonus version of the other - they each have at least one track that the other doesn't (the details are a bit fuzzy in my head).

BTW, if you like The Soft Bulletin, it's _definitely_ worth tracking down The Soft Bulletin Companion, which was some kind of promo / radio promo with a bunch of cut tracks, live performances and stereo mixdowns of some of the Zaireeka tracks. Great stuff.

I didn't know that, thanks. I thought the european release had the same as the LP release which had two other tracks that the CD didn't. I can't remember now which songs were cut from the CD. I haven't listened to the CD version in many years now. I pulled all the songs off the vinyl using a friends studio.

I'll have to track down that SB companion, I didn't know it existed. On a side note about 6 months ago some friends and I had a Zaireeka party. It was alot of fun and a huge pain in the ass.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 25
go old school... get Oh My Gawd!!!...

"Everything's Exploding" explodes with musical happiness.

Jan 5, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 25
I've always liked Soft Bulletin better, but Yoshimi is a good headphone experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back