If I have a good DAC can I still use a MacBookPro as a source? (plus many other newbie questions)
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #31 of 47
I don't know about the LCD + Burson, true, but while researching amps (in the same position os the OP), I did find many references to how great the Burson is, except when paired with the T1. Now the T1 requires more power to operate than the Senns and just about anything else (not many 600ohm phones out there), so going on a strict power basis, I would say the requirements to drive the LCD (or any ortho) meet or exceed the T1 requirements. Hence the Lyr recommendation.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #32 of 47
I will tell you guys, this has been one interesting journey.
Never would have thought  in a million years that buying a pair of headphones and a DAC/AMP would be this involved.

Everytime I go to pull the trigger on something someone has a post about what im about to buy not being good.
So this forces me to start all over. LOL

Im not complaining this is really kind of fun in a way. The journey for that perfect Headphone/DAC/AMP combo.

So I guess I will pause on the Burson and do further research on the other brands like the shlitt lyr thingy.

One thing I read about that was they had a lot of tremendous power. Power that you normally dont see in an amp at that price but the DAC is lacking.

I am going to go ahead and conclude half of my search right now.
Im buying the LCD'2 tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me how long the waiting list is these days?
Do I have to pay balance for the headphones today even if I dont get them for 2 months?

Its fine either way I would just like to know.

If I have to wait 2 months to receive my order that will give me plenty of more time to do more research on a DAC/AMP.

Let the search continue.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #34 of 47
Absolutely! I use a USB cable and a Mini to Toslink cable to connect my MacBook Pro to my DAC. Both work brilliantly. Only downside is the Mac's SPDIF only outputs up to 96kHz. 192kHz am cry ;(

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #35 of 47

I will tell you guys, this has been one interesting journey.
Never would have thought  in a million years that buying a pair of headphones and a DAC/AMP would be this involved.

As the old saying here goes, "Welcome to Head-Fi!. Sorry about your wallet..."

Everytime I go to pull the trigger on something someone has a post about what im about to buy not being good.
So this forces me to start all over. LOL

Im not complaining this is really kind of fun in a way. The journey for that perfect Headphone/DAC/AMP combo.

So I guess I will pause on the Burson and do further research on the other brands like the shlitt lyr thingy.

One thing I read about that was they had a lot of tremendous power. Power that you normally dont see in an amp at that price but the DAC is lacking.

I am going to go ahead and conclude half of my search right now.
Im buying the LCD'2 tomorrow.

I use a HD800 combined with a Benchmark DAC-1 connected to my Mac Pro using Toslink. I do have one advantage over you in that I live in the SF Bay Area, and had the opportunity to participate in Head-Fi meets, where you get to experience a wide variety of ultra-high end gear. The HD800 or LCD-2 are actually mid-range by the standards of some people's gear, e.g. the long-discontinued Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus or Sony Qualia R10. Not that price is a guarantee of results - I much prefer the HD800 over the more expensive R10. Headphone choice is an intensely personal matter - some people prefer accurate and neutral, some want the euphonic distortion from tubes, some like thumping bass, even if not accurate. You really must listen for yourself and not base your purchasing decision based on what other people on the forum are saying. The HD800 you did listen to, and you may end up disappointed with the Audeze, see what their return policy is.
The HD800 can be driven from an integrated DAC+amp like the DAC1, which drives down the cost. The LCD-2 is inefficient for headphones thus the need for extra beefy headphone amp. My next upgrade path is to get an Antelope Audio Zodiac DAC + amp, and when I strike it rich, get a Stax SR-009 (hopefully the new Chinese owners don't run them into the ground).
Some more tips:
  1. iTunes is very poor at ripping. The CD Audio format was not designed for computer use and ripping is not an exact science. Try sbooth's Max or Rip for accurate ripping on the Mac
  2. iTunes does not set the system audio's clock, you need to use the Audio MIDI utility to do so. If you are only listening to 44.1kHz CD audio, the defaults should be fine, but if you ever get higher bitrate/sample rate studio masters from the likes of Linn or B&W Society of Sound, you will need to switch so as to not incur quality loss from sample rate conversion. Better players like Fidelia or Amarra take care of switching the Core Audio sample rate to match your music (Amarra is grossly overpriced and I can't stand the audiophile snake oil commuity that congealed around it, but Fidelia quite inexpensive from the Mac App Store).

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #36 of 47
Headphone.com has the LCD-2 @ 1-2 weeks out: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audeze-lcd-2-leather.php . They don't charge your CC until it ships.

I've never read anything but good about the Schiit Bifrost DAC and with SPIDF, it does everything I can ask for and more (only comparing to FiiO E17).

Re: iTunes ripper. AFAIK, iTunes uses Core Audio (at least when ripping to AAC/ALE) and Max definitely uses Core Audio for AAC/ALE. For MP3 you may be right, don't know, but for lossless AAC is considered quite a bit better than MP3.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
The LCD-2 is actually fairly efficient as far as orthos go. The Schiit Asgard is very decent with them, so no doubt the Burson should handle them no problem.

Confirmed. 160D + LCD2,  It's a killer combo for the money. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #40 of 47
And while im at it.
Can anyone recommend a book on the science of sound in general.
I feel like an idiot not knowing this stuff.
I would like to be able to get to the point where I could ask some decent questions.
But im new to this stuff. And most of the technical details I read about on this forum is way over my head.

Im willing to learn. This stuff is interesting to me.

I would like to get to the point where I have the knowledge to know HOW it works and why.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #41 of 47
SPDIF is just another name for Optical. The Mabcook's headphone jack actually also acts as a SPDIF out. So if you buy a Mini (the 3.5mm earphone jack looking end) to Toslink (Optical) cable, such as the one shown below, it can actually connect to the Optical connection on a DAC. 

So you'd have Macbook > Mini to Toslink > DAC

Quote:
I dont understand this.
Can you explain SPDIF to me?

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #42 of 47
Spdif isn't just an optical/toslink standard, it's also coaxial/bnc which is the preferred version. Macs will only output 96k max via optical.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #43 of 47
 S/PDIF-

Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format

Also, for practical purposes the Mac is limited to Optical Out @ 96 kHz. But, some Optical cables (it varies) are technically capable of carrying a signal upwards of 125 kHz - 150 kHz. But then, the next stop in resolution for most devices is 176.4 kHz, so it's a bit moot. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #44 of 47
I didn't realize that about the limitations of toslink cables, it seems weird since the toslink inputs of many DACs accept up to 192k
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back