If I hate the Grado 325i could I like the RS-1?
Oct 18, 2006 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
I have more money than I know what to do with these days. That's an exaggeration but the RS-1 is well within my budget.

Some time ago I bought a 325i and ended up not liking it, it was exhausting for my ears to listen to. The initial impressions I wrote about it here on head-fi might contradict that but regardless I ended up selling it in favor of Sennheiser 595's which happened to please me for quite some time. I was using a Gilmore Lite as amp at the time; the 595's and GL didn't do it for me and I ended up buying a Millet Hybrid. I really liked that combo. Sadly I had to leave that back in Canada when I moved to Korea.

Nowadays I'm using a Headroom Desktop Amp and K701. This is a great setup in general but seeing as I listen mostly to rock and metal I keep wondering about the RS-1/MS-Pro. I recently auditioned the MS-Pro in a noisy mall but I'd like to spend a few hours with it before deciding if I like it.

So what do you think? Is it possible I'll like the RS-1/MS-Pro if I hated the 325i?

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 60
Simple , straight forward answer........Yes.Warmer sound , great extension , non fatiguing.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 60
Yes, It is possible. Many Grado fans like other Grado models and don't like the 325's. If I read your post correctly part of the problem may be how you had the them amp'd. The Glimore Lite is a "bright" amp even under normal use, but when coupled with the 325's. . . . well it sounds downright painful.

If you were to get the RS1, amp them right, you may well like them.

- augustwest

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 60
Good news. I borrowed a pair of 325i's and hated them*. They gave me headaches and made my fillings hurt! I have always wanted to try grado again and the RS1 will probably be my can of choice. The 325 had scared me off, but maybe.....

*edit. That is unfair - loved the detail and realism. Just couldn't listen for more than five minutes without feeling on edge

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 60
You most definitely could like the RS-1 if you disliked the 325i's. I bought my father a pair of 325i's I burned in for him prior to buying my RS-1s. The 325's are extremely fatiguing (read: painful) to listen to.

The RS-1 do not suffer from this problem. In particular, for rock and metal the RS-1 have that nice sweet midrange that makes guitars sound incredible. Mate that with a tube amp and you will experience your music collection from an entirely new perspective.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 60
I definately think the RS-1 would give a better timbre, warmer sound, better extension. And amped right (tubes help) it is can be nothing short of amazing if your system is up to par. I keep going back to that signature even over some of the better headphones out there.

The 325i wouldn't even rate better than mediocre phones for me.

That being said. I use a decibal meter to keep things below 80dbs and there is no fatigue. The RS-1 has a glaring high frequency but only when turned too loud. So, if you plan on listening loud enough to damage your hearing, the RS-1s will be fatiguing.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 60
I dislike the 325i, but the RS1's my favorite. Go figure. As a device for musical listening, I like the SR60 more than the 325i. It's just easier on the ears. I think you should audition them if you can to find out if you like the RS1 signature though, you may just not like Grados.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 60
I have a similar question: If you love the 325i, will you love the RS1? I've been eyeballing the RS1 for some time now and I've come close to pulling the trigger on many occasions.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 60
Wow, so much SR325i hate on this forum
blink.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 60
Certainly you can. I don't like SR325i at all but I like RS1 very much.

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
I have a similar question: If you love the 325i, will you love the RS1? I've been eyeballing the RS1 for some time now and I've come close to pulling the trigger on many occasions.

Good question - I think this could easily be a yes. But it is different, so trying it would be the only way to know for sure.

Oct 18, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 60
Yes, you are more likey to enjoy RS-1. Although they both exhibit somewhat similar Grado-house sound, but RS-1 is far less fatigue-sounding than 325x series. One thing you want to double check is your source. Poorly recorded or encoded MP3s may sounds even more fatique-sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back