If I graduated Magna Cum Laude, but technically didn't qualify the final semester...
Jul 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Jul 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 19
Niiice. Not that it'll help much, my school isn't exactly known for churning out the tops. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Actually, most local people (even other college students) don't even know it means. To be honest, I didn't either until I was told I qualified at graduation. (They gave me a red rope to strangle myself with) 

EDIT: I just remembered that at grad I had Summa Cum Laude, so I guess with the GPA drop in the last semester, I am Magna. So I can rock it without feeling guilty!

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 19
Yeah, but it's no biggie. Getting honors at my school isn't exactly a hard achievement. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
...(it's not counted), can I still claim it on my resume? 

Yeeeeah. They gave me a sticker and stuff in the mail today. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/Kirosia/MCLLetter.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/Kirosia/MCLSticker.jpg

The main reasoned I dropped in ~.10 in GPA is cause of a certain blonde birdie who broke my heaaaart. (Also laziness, I could've easing kept a 3.8 if I was remotely motivated)

Whoa man, where in MA are you?

Congrats on the Magna Cum Laude.  What did you study (besides girls)?

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 19
International Business (Business Admin) at Salem State. A fairly easy major at a glorified high school, not really something to brag about. All the cute girls were taken, and half the students were dumb as bricks. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
International Business (Business Admin) at Salem State. A fairly easy major at a glorified high school, not really something to brag about. All the cute girls were taken, and half the students were dumb as bricks. 

Reminds me of the time I took this course and it was 90% international students that couldnt speak English properly.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 19
The foreign students I've met were very intelligent and hard-working. The natives were hit or miss, many came from upper-middle class families and already had a hook up ready, they just needed the paper. "C's get degrees" never rang truer...

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 19
This was a post grad course so I assume most were intelligent.

It's just that the standards at Aussie universities regarding English proficiency for international students isnt what it used to be.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 19
I thought it was the cumulative GPA that puts you in Magna cum Laude, or whichever cum laude you're in.  But if your school says you qualified, slap that on your resume.

Off topic.. my mother cried when she saw me stand up when they announced all the Magna Cum Laude students.. she didn't know i was "that smart". 
redface.gif
I love my family..

Jul 30, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 19
^My school's requirements for it appear to be lower than normal. 

My grad ceremony was a joke, they wasted too much time with guest speakers and giving away honorary degrees. Students with honors were never pointed out, even though they were supposed to be. Hell I only went to the ceremony cause my parents paid me $50. I didn't even care to dress up, wore a T and blue jeans. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 19
From highest honor to lowest:
Summa cum Laude
Magna cum Laude
Cum Laude

Wow, you got a sticker AND a congratulations letter. Went to Georgia Tech - the relevant honors line in my diploma is near-microscopic, and in horrendously unreadable black font. It takes a magnifying glass to read with any ease. No seal, no coffee stain of approval, nothing :p At Tech, summa was only 3.55, magna was ~3.35 and cum laude was ~3.15 (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back