if I fell in love with AKG271, which is the next upgrade? AKG701?
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ygg-it

New Head-Fier
I like very much my akg271 for their crystal clear sound and heavenly mid.
dt880smile.png

I'm just thinking to upgrade them.

Is AKG701 worth ?

Doesn't matter if they are a difficoult load (i have my amplifier) and are open. I would get just an upgrade and come near to perfection...
o2smile.gif

-------------------------
EARphone PURE AUDIOamp AD826 (Limited Ed.)
Self-made 100 mW Desktop Headphone Amplifier.

http://ygg-it.tripod.com/

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 25
If I recall, that was pretty much the route that led me to the Grado SR-225. Even better mids, in my opinion, much better bass when amped right, and a tendency towards some slight brightness (not always a problem for me, but once in a while it is...).

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygg-it /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880smile.png

I'm just thinking to upgrade them. Is AKG701 worth ?

I checked those AKG models on the SPL phonitor.
The K702 is the big winner here...

AKG 2008

1. K702/701.
2. K240 MKll.
3. K271.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I recall, that was pretty much the route that led me to the Grado SR-225. Even better mids, in my opinion, much better bass when amped right, and a tendency towards some slight brightness (not always a problem for me, but once in a while it is...).

LOL. I first bought k271s, just bought 225s and next month i will get broke and buy the RS-2. (cant resist. Grado sound is soooo Raw, Hard hitting, groovie, you name it.

save up some money and buy you an Upgrade not a sidestep.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 25
K701/702 doesn't have that smooth mids that K271S possesses - K501 is a better bet if you want to stay in AKG's lineup (they do require rather good amping though)

If you're looking for sweet mids, look towards AT's AD2000. They have their own type of juicy mids combined with lightening-fast bass and non-fatiguing highs.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygg-it /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880smile.png

I'm just thinking to upgrade them.

Is AKG701 worth ?

Doesn't matter if they are a difficoult load (i have my amplifier) and are open. I would get just an upgrade and come near to perfection...
o2smile.gif

-------------------------
EARphone PURE AUDIOamp AD826 (Limited Ed.)
Self-made 100 mW Desktop Headphone Amplifier.

EARphone PURE AUDIOamp

If you love your AKG K271S (as I do), it's wouldn't recommend an upgrade in the same direction. That's the audiophile mistake, the road to unsure decisions which leads to heavy money loss IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try a different approach for other music stiles that K271S don't fit quite right, as alternative.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 25
271 is a different beast from the rest of the akg lineup, it's got character. it's the only one i would actually keep if i owned an akg fone. what exactly are you trying to improve or are you looking for a different sound all together? what is the rest of your system?

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think K702 sounds like K271S at all.

LOL.To me, the K702 sounds much better! Bigger sound stage, more bass and the sound is more smooth, fewer frequency gaps.

The 240 is more close to the 702 on the sound stage and the smooth mids. The 271 would be my last choice. Actually, I would prefer other headphones, altogether. The upper mid is too much in your face, and the low mid takes the place of the bass and there is no bass at all...yuck.

Anyway, if someone considers the 271s to be such good headphones, he should listen to the RS1.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL.To me, the K702 sounds much better! Bigger sound stage, more bass and the sound is more smooth, fewer frequency gaps.

That wasn't a question what is better or not, OP asked for something similar to K271S and K702/701 is not. And, btw, if you consider K702 having more bass than K271S you definitely have fit issues and should try switching to velour pads, they increase both comfort and sonic aspect of K271S.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you consider K702 having more bass than K271S you definitely have fit issues and should try switching to velour pads, they increase both comfort and sonic aspect of K271S.

Thanks, but I'm cool with the fit. I can change the angle of the pads of the K702. But, it's funny, I just checked the FR graph on the headroom site and guess what I found...exactly what I said before. It confirmed my theory. It looks like it's more than theory.

Anyway, The Ultrasone PL 650 sounds more like the 271S than it's sibling in the AKG family.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Thanks, but I'm cool with the fit. I can change the angle of the pads of the K702. But, it's funny, I just checked the FR graph on the headroom site and guess what I found...exactly what I said before. It confirmed my theory. It looks like it's more than theory.

Anyway, The Ultrasone PL 650 sounds more like the 271S than it's sibling in the AKG family.

Now I am almost convinced that you have never heard neither K271S nor PL650.
It is okay to be overly enthusiastic about specific headphone brand/model, as long as you do not annoy everyone else with your "my only love to the death" attitude. And you deviate from the topic, I understand that you trying very hard to express in every, even remotely related thread you can find, how great your K701 is, but that has started sounding childish and boring already.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Hey, it's okay to disagree with me, but there's no need for the drama.

Back to the topic...

Yes! In my experience, it's worth upgrading to the 701.
k701smile.gif

they were one of the most boring headphones I've had. Neutral, tonally correct, but also very very uninvolved. It was like getting lectured about Beethoven's 5th symphony, rather than actually listening to the performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back