If I buy Senn 650s, what amp???
Jun 28, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Rational Being,

Congratulations on your new acquisitions! Do post a small review and tell us what your first impressions are. Remember the HD 650s require a long burn-in period.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Will do! I actually just got an email back saying I ran into a distribution problem with the rega EAR. Heh. Will have to buy it locally at the end of the week from my local guy and pay $20 tax
frown.gif
Oh well.

600smile.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #47 of 56
You don't want to use HD650s with onboard audio.

Bad sound results.

Unless you plan on spending lots of money in the future on a dedicated source and stuff. I think the HD650s are wolves in sheeps clothing and require way more money than the price of the phone to sound their best (see my signature).

Cheers,
Geek

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #48 of 56
EDIT

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #49 of 56
There was this rule flat earthers used to use (and perhaps still do). It went that speakers should be the cheapest part of the chain, followed by amp and then source. They said it was good practice to spend 2x the amount on an amp than speakers and 3x the amount on a source than speakers, hence it was called the 3:2:1 rule (not that I agree with it, FWIW).

So, if one was to treat the HD650 as a $2,000 headphone that means one should buy a $4,000 amp (blockhead?) and $8,000 source. OK, I am sure some people may do this, but frankly, it strikes me as nothing short of absolutely ridiculous in this case.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Are you including ALL associated equipment or just an amp there with your $2,000 assessment? If it's amp only you are sadly mistaken in a huge way. I'm not entirely sure I'd agree if you were talking $2k for the whole ball of wax either, unless of course analyzing the living hell out of your system instead of listening to the music is the priority.

I think what he is saying is treat the HD650 like THEY COST $2K. Surround them with gear that you would IF THEY (the phones) cost $2k. He's just saying that to get the most out of your 650's you should surround them with gear that is fitting a headphone that cost $2K.....Not $350.00.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what geek said, only trying to clarify his point. Any aurguments should be addressed to him, not me. He never mentioned anywhere about how much you should spend on the seperate peices of gear (amp & source).
I will agree that they are worthy of surrounding gear way over there price range. I use mine with a $2K plus amp and a $4K or $9K source and they are up to the challenge. However I have also heard them shine with much less costly gear in the chain also. I think they are going to sound great with whatever you put with them.
I have not however ever heard them (or anything) with a computor based source so I have no idea how that would sound.
BTW, why would you think that if someone spends XX amount of dollars on there system there priorities are no longer about listening to the music? Also what is that cut off point so I can try and think back and discover when I stopped listening to music and started to listen to my system instead. I didn't realize the priorities changed at a certain investment range.

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
BTW, why would you think that if someone spends XX amount of dollars on there system there priorities are no longer about listening to the music? Also what is that cut off point so I can try and think back and discover when I stopped listening to music and started to listen to my system instead. I didn't realize the priorities changed at a certain investment range.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I've obviously offended you. My point wasn't at all to say that people like yourself who have expensive gear merely analyze their system rather than enjoy music but rather that I don't think it takes a huge amount of money for most people to enjoy music with the HD650's. The people in this forum, including myself, who do think they sound their best with quality gear, are a very small minuscule fraction of HD650 owners in this world.

I thought we had a good rapport, Tom? You could have PM'd or at least asked me to explain without the snide remark at the end of your post. I'm guessing that Zu Mobius audition is out of the question?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #52 of 56
  1. Singlepower PPX3
  2. Singlepower PPX3-6SN7
  3. Singlepower MPX3 (Incredible...just awesome...)
  4. Eddy Current HA-300
  5. William Hart Chiarra (correc sp?) with Bill Wilson mods (contact sewerguy of this forums for more info)
  6. Rudistor RP5 Reference
  7. Headroom Max with Stepped Attenuator
  8. Headroom MOH
  9. Perreaux SHX-1
  10. Grace Design 901
  11. Audiovalve RKV MK-II
  12. Sugden Headmaster with Carlo Mods

There are many more but I will add them later as they strike me...
cool.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #56 of 56
I'd have to give my endorsement to the Rega Ear, phenomenal amp for the price, capable of trading blows with many of the amps mentioned here, and beating some of them too, I shouldnt wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back