If I buy Senn 650s, what amp???
Jun 27, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

RationalBeing

New Head-Fier
After spending the past 2 hours reading various threads I'm basically convinced that spending the extra $180 on the 650s would be ideal for me over the 595/580s I was previously contemplating.

If I do this tho, would I need a super high end amp to drive them?

Basically these would be setup and listened to roughly 8 hours a day:

Computer (CD Drive & MP3s) --> ChainTech 770 --> SUGGESTED AMP --> Sen 650s

I want a solid state amp, and the cheaper the better since I'm already gunna shell out $330 for the 650s. Would something like the HeadRoom AirHead do it?? $150 price range would be ideal but PLEASE tell me whatever would be best for this level of audio...

Thanks all!

Jun 27, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 56
You'll have a hard time finding a good cheap amp that can really power the senns. If you matched them with something like the airhead, you would most likely be quite disapointed. The 650's are good phones, but i doubt you'll really be able to get them to sound great with anything short of a PPA/gilmore/HA-2/Headroom max (The max being my least favorate of the bunch)

If you want my honest advice, re-think your budget, or merely settle for a cheaper set of phones and a better amp. Besides, MP3's are going to sound horrible with a decent setup.

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
You'll have a hard time finding a good cheap amp that can really power the senns. If you matched them with something like the airhead, you would most likely be quite disapointed. The 650's are good phones, but i doubt you'll really be able to get them to sound great with anything short of a PPA/gilmore/HA-2/Headroom max (The max being my least favorate of the bunch)

If you want my honest advice, re-think your budget, or merely settle for a cheaper set of phones and a better amp. Besides, MP3's are going to sound horrible with a decent setup.

Thanks for your insight on this. To be honest the 580s I was previously considering also have a 300 ohm load so would they really be any improvement? The 595s are a 120 ohm load so if I matched that with something like the airhead or even norm's headsaver home amp (at like $110) would that be much more ideal for my price range?

Jun 27, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 56
Go ahead and get the HD650, you will not regret it. The Rega Ear headphone amp for around $200.00 should fit your needs.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 56
The Perreaux sounds very good with the HD650s -- check the for sale forum. My Go-Vibe sounds pretty good with them as well, so I'd wager the Vibe Classic (which is under $200) would sound very nice. If you can score a used Corda HA-1, that would work nicely too.

I don't think you need to spend that much to get good performance with the HD650s.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 56
I plan on going with this same setup so I am curious as well... only difference is I have a EMU 1212m soundcard.... the amp I was looking at right now was the Headsave Classic for like 120.... something in the 200-300 range would be ideal for me, 400 is too much.... sigh so many choices!
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by perfektrtw
I plan on going with this same setup so I am curious as well... only difference is I have a EMU 1212m soundcard.... the amp I was looking at right now was the Headsave Classic for like 120.... something in the 200-300 range would be ideal for me, 400 is too much.... sigh so many choices!
eek.gif

I repeat.....Rega Ear for around 200.00. Major league little amp for the Senns.

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I repeat.....Rega Ear for around 200.00. Major league little amp for the Senns.

You have any experience with it compared to like anything norm at headsave has built?

To be honest I have a degree in EE and $200 for some opamps and resistors is just ridiculous (Mind you I dont have the time/motivation to build one myself)

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 56
RationalBeing,

Really, the Rega Ear powers up my Senn HD 580s with plenty of juice and authority. It does indeed sound beautiful, with the Rega Planet 2000 that is. I don't know whether your sound card would sound any good with it but then a more expensive amp probably wouldn't either (I'm a firm believer of the "source first" philosophy). Oh yeah, be careful with the prospect of wearing headphones for 8 hours a day as Tinnitus will be a very likely outcome.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 56
If you're on a budget, what I would do is either get the HD650s and an amp that doesn't drive it 100%, or get a great amp and HD580s (or your mid-price cans of choice); and later on, you can sell the less-awesome component and upgrade. You'll save money in the long run if you just get the 650s and your top-choice amp right away, but since that's not practical, you'll want to avoid upgrading both later on.

The 650s probably won't sound bad with a midrange amp -- they may not be giving 100%, but 75% of a 650 is still pretty good. And likewise, the 595/580s won't sound bad at all with a good amp. In both cases, it's going to be more of a case of "But I bet it could be better" that "This sucks".

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 56
Ok guys thanks for the advice.

One last question...

What would be a good place to get the rega EAR since I'm in the USA?

ANy good sites you recommend for the 650s too? ePinions has some pretty cheap places but some of them seem kinda shady. Amazon has them for like $449 but thats a bit steep!

Thanks again guys.

RB

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 56
I bought mine from MVP Audio. As far as amps are concerned, I used a Marantz 1060 (you can pick one up for under $100 on ebay) when I first received my 650's. I had no complaints. I also used them with a pimeta and Headsave Ultra. I had no problem with either of those amps, which are also in your price range. There are amps you can find in your price range that will work just fine with the 650's, imo.

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalBeing
You have any experience with it compared to like anything norm at headsave has built?

To be honest I have a degree in EE and $200 for some opamps and resistors is just ridiculous (Mind you I dont have the time/motivation to build one myself)

I have heard it next to a maxed out Meta42 and creek I had and it was better than both. (and cheaper) I don't know what your going to get for 200.00 that sounds better with the Senns.
Maybe it's time for you to find some time, and come up with some motivation and take advantage of that degree.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back