If I buy Senn 650s, what amp???
Jun 27, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #31 of 56
If you want to really splash out, this JMT PPA is for sale and should make your HD 650s sing nicely. My full monty PPA does one heck of a job with my HD 650s..
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #33 of 56
Thanks all for the input, especially you tom.

I've decided to go with the rega amp for sure. Still not sure if I'm gunna go with the senn 650s or maybe even the sony CD3000s! Boy I wish I could listen to either of these but there are NO shops in this city of 1million that have these in stock. I'm very disappointed
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalBeing
Thanks all for the input, especially you tom.

I've decided to go with the rega amp for sure. Still not sure if I'm gunna go with the senn 650s or maybe even the sony CD3000s! Boy I wish I could listen to either of these but there are NO shops in this city of 1million that have these in stock. I'm very disappointed
frown.gif

Just to add a little more indecision into the mix.....The Sony CD3000 (at least for me) was hard to get right with the volume on the Rega ear amp.I think the rega is much better equipped to handle the senns bacause the gain is set very high and the Sony phones can be overwhelming with the Rega amp. It might just be me. But this is something I noticed when using the CD3000 with the rega ear.

Jun 27, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #35 of 56
Rational Being,

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Just to add a little more indecision into the mix.....The Sony CD3000 (at least for me) was hard to get right with the volume on the Rega ear amp.I think the rega is much better equipped to handle the senns bacause the gain is set very high and the Sony phones can be overwhelming with the Rega amp. It might just be me. But this is something I noticed when using the CD3000 with the rega ear.

That's true. Though I haven't tried the CD 3000s, I did audition the low impedance Philips HP 800s through the Rega Ear and the gain was so high (with the volume pot at 7 o'clock) I actually hurt my ears. I had otalgia (ear pain) for a few months after that. Better stay away from the Rega Ear if you're planning to use low impedance cans. You should decide what cans you really want to use prior to purchasing the Rega Ear. This little amp is very sinergistic with the high impedance Senns as it was voiced with them by Rega engineers. It is interesting that one member claims the Rega Ear is powerful enough to drive AKG K 1000s.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #36 of 56
RationalBeing, where in the world are you? If you check the meets board, there are plenty of head-fi'ers who are looking to get together, it's probably worth driving (even if it's a long way to one) to check out what you're buying before you get it. You may find that your tastes in equiptment are far different than what you expected.

I've never heard the combination myself, but i'm skeptical about the rega ear really being able to drive the 650's. The PPA would sound great, but is significantly over your budget. And to answer the question that no one else has, yes, the 595's would be significantly easier to drive, however, based on my brief listen to them, i wouldn't reccomend them, peroid. (They're extremely bright)

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #37 of 56
RationalBeing,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
RationalBeing, where in the world are you? If you check the meets board, there are plenty of head-fi'ers who are looking to get together, it's probably worth driving (even if it's a long way to one) to check out what you're buying before you get it. You may find that your tastes in equiptment are far different than what you expected.

I've never heard the combination myself, but i'm skeptical about the rega ear really being able to drive the 650's.

I second Ebonyks recommendation that you should audition equipment prior to purchase. This could save you a lot of time and money. Attending a meet would be awesome. There are no meets in Brazil, so I myself cannot benefit from meets, but you should if you can.

Though I have never auditioned the HD 650s, I assume they should be as easily driven as the HD 580s through the Rega Ear. I've read the HD 650s and the HD 580s are similar enough regarding power requirements, and the Rega Ear drives the HD 580s very very well. I'm very happy with the combo. There's plenty of dynamics, clarity, and detail with no trace of veil.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #38 of 56
The REGA Ear is certainly capable of driving the HD650's . I used to own the REGA Planet 2000 with the EAR and HD600's. A very nice combo. The EAR was designed and voiced for Sennheisers. It will have no problem driving the HD650.

Jun 27, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

No, I was talking about the 650s. He suggested that Todd and headroom had them for $350 USD but they're $450USD
frown.gif

BTW TOM, have you heard the headroom LITTLE amp? Its pretty close in price to the ear.

They ARE both 350 at Todd and Headroom. Atleast they were as of Thursday.

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
RationalBeing,

I second Ebonyks recommendation that you should audition equipment prior to purchase. This could save you a lot of time and money. Attending a meet would be awesome. There are no meets in Brazil, so I myself cannot benefit from meets, but you should if you can.

Though I have never auditioned the HD 650s, I assume they should be as easily driven as the HD 580s through the Rega Ear. I've read the HD 650s and the HD 580s are similar enough regarding power requirements, and the Rega Ear drives the HD 580s very very well. I'm very happy with the combo. There's plenty of dynamics, clarity, and detail with no trace of veil.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Alex,

Let's set up a meeting at Sao Paulo.... Looks a good plan
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #41 of 56
DEMIW,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMIW
Alex,
Let's set up a meeting at Sao Paulo.... Looks a good plan
wink.gif

If other Brazilian headfiers Ari, Guto, and Ymer would also agree to attend with their gear, that would be a beginning. So far there are five of us that I'm aware of.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer

Definitely a great idea, I had a better understanding of what I liked after the SoCal meet. Although it could also cost you a time and money when your upgraditis worsens
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by perfektrtw
They ARE both 350 at Todd and Headroom. Atleast they were as of Thursday.

It's still 350 at Todd as of today (I got a price quote earlier this afternoon)...

Jun 28, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 56
Just ordered as follows:

Sennheiser 650s from Headroom for $349.95 + shipping
Rega Ear from amusicdirect for $225.00 + shipping
Chaintech AV-710 from newegg.com for $23.50 including shipping.

Hopefully by week's end I'll be in bliss. Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #44 of 56
Rational Being,

Quote:

Just ordered as follows:

Hopefully by week's end I'll be in bliss. Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations on your new acquisitions! Do post a small review and tell us what your first impressions are. Remember the HD 650s require a long burn-in period.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Just ordered as follows:

smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats on your system.
600smile.gif
Make sure and let us know how the 650/Ear works out for you. How long before everything gets there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back