If Beats headphones aren't that great, then, are Beats computers the same?
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rezound Sound

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious. Since the Beats headphones are pretty much frowned upon by people who know about good quality sound, are the computers with Beats audio in them also bad?

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll have to dig up the YouTube video again, but the short story is that it's software trickery.

Basically, when you enable the Beats Audio checkbox in its control panel, it jacks up the bass and treble in an EQ hidden in the sound device's playback properties. Disable it through that same control panel, and it severely EQs the bass down while leaving the treble jacked up.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 6
I can't say because I haven't heard then, but, at least I think that they aren't worth the price. I have a laptop with sound designed by JBL, and still can't beat any of my IEMs or Headphones, I think that's because it's still a laptop sound, so, you can't do much in such cramped space.

Still, you can read the review:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-14-Beats-Edition-Notebook.43071.0.html

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I have an HP Envy 14 and simply disabled Beats Audio that only boosted bass. 

With a computer there is always an easy solution - external DAC - it will bypass whatever audio chip manufacturer put into the PC.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Beats Audio is just an improved version of the IDT's soundcards. They're just some half-assed Realtek competitor, but, at least their "Beats" model is a tad better than Realtek, but surely not really worth the 70~150 bucks more they try to charge you for having one of these on a laptop.

At least they CAN power up my 40 OHMs headphones without having to use any amplifier, unlike the Realtek **** I have.
Then again, a 70 bucks Fiio DAC just about makes them look like toys.

May 23, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 6
I just bought an HP touchsmart 420 which has beats audio, well, short story, good computer horrible audio, I just understood why people buy DACs, compared to my toshiba laptop the sound is very poor, very low frequencies are barely heard, i tried listening "limit to your love" by james blake which is the bassiest song i know and i almost couldnt hear the bass, with my laptop its just a lot of bass and make my ears tickle with my Beyers DT 770 pro 80s.

So i guess Ill have to buy an external DAC

unless someone tells me that i can fix it installing another sound driver or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back