If anyone doubts break-in, then you're....
Dec 8, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #46 of 64
I believe in break-in... but I believe that it all happens within 10 hours or less. I don't believe that x cans takes 100+ hours to break in... the diaphram and drivers should be all in place within 10 hours... at least for me... I don't notice any changes after that. Could be wrong tho.

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #47 of 64
In case of Sennheisers at least, the form of the earpads changes in use. I wonder if this "burn-in" (easily visible) actually has a larger effect than the hypothetical burn-in of the drivers.

Regards,

L.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Silly newbie question but here goes.Can you burn out your source keeping something in play for 200 hours?My new sr60 is hitched up to my boombox radio for the recommended 200hours and i hope that eight straight days of use doesnt burn out the box or worse.

Very unlikely when used in a normal temp/humidity range etc.
You wouldn't believe how hot the cd/tuner head unit gets in my car on a sunny day
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetAsleep
This coming from a guy that claims theres a night and day difference between flac and high quality encoded mp3s on a DAP
rolleyes.gif

Sorry theres members on this forum I just can't take seriously and cheechoz you're one of them.

You know, I didn't used to think there was much of a huge difference between a red book CD and the same CD ripped to LAME 320 CBR and then burned back to a CD-R, until I experienced it on my home rig, with the Joss Stone - Mind Body & Soul: I put the ripped and reburnt (for the car) one on because I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs and get the original. It sounded flat, airless and thrashy - average r&b - and I definitely wasn't expecting that.
Well I never - there is no way I would miss that in a DBT.
I'll have to try some more with Apple lossless and the aforementioned LAME mp3 [Edit: on my iPod] - that'll keep me busy over xmas
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #50 of 64
I thought I experienced a burn-in difference with my E4C on the first pair I got. I could have sworn the highs mellowed out and the mids slightly warmed but after getting rid of them buying some Super.fi 5pros and then exchanging those for another pair of E4C I can tell you they sound the same out of box as they did with 200-400 hours of burn-in.

To be honest the only thing I have heard a noticeable difference in with burn-in was the Zu cable I got for a pair of HD650's.

Dec 8, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

This coming from a guy that claims theres a night and day difference between flac and high quality encoded mp3s on a DAP
rolleyes.gif

Sorry theres members on this forum I just can't take seriously and cheechoz you're one of them.

As long as you restrict the scenario to a DAP, used in a portable/public setting with typical portable headphones, or you're listening mostly for background noise rather than focussing on the music, you're right: there is no practical difference. Now compare critically listening to a redbook CD vs. 320 kbps MP3 using a quality mid-fi source/DAC/amplifier and any really decent headphones: the difference is pretty stark. Similarly, burn-in might be more of a factor with good, resolving equipment, instead of your typical soundcard.

Dec 8, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
As long as you restrict the scenario to a DAP, used in a portable/public setting with typical portable headphones, or you're listening mostly for background noise rather than focussing on the music, you're right: there is no practical difference. Now compare critically listening to a redbook CD vs. 320 kbps MP3 using a quality mid-fi source/DAC/amplifier and any really decent headphones: the difference is pretty stark. Similarly, burn-in might be more of a factor with good, resolving equipment, instead of your typical soundcard.

Doubt it. ABX it with volume matching.

Dec 8, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

It's a shame that you don't explore new found possibilities, and don't know the proper way to express yourself to others, as seen by your remarks, but thanks for trying!!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Doubt it. ABX it with volume matching.

In particular, make use of foobar's ABX and follow the instructions on how to make it statistically valid (i.e. specify the exact number of trials you will have instead of stopping when you have a good percentage, don't look at the success rate until you're done, etc. IIRC)

Dec 9, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Now compare critically listening to a redbook CD vs. 320 kbps MP3 using a quality mid-fi source/DAC/amplifier and any really decent headphones: the difference is pretty stark. Similarly, burn-in might be more of a factor with good, resolving equipment, instead of your typical soundcard.

This is off-topic, so only shortly. I have not only done the above countless of times during the past four years, but also done the test to other self-confessed audiophiles with high end playback gear.

None have been able to repeatedly and reliably recognize original cd audio PCM from properly encoded 128kbps vbr average bitrate encodings on a multitude of test samples (under double blind conditions).

It's easy to claim to do it, but to actually pull-it off when you can't cheat by looking. It's hard.

Never under-estimate the power of self-deception.

Dec 10, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Never under-estimate the power of self-deception.

Precisely which is why DBT is looked down upon in audiophile circles. Regardless I can accept that even with my very high end stereo speaker system and my Grado RS-1 that I would not be able to pass a double blind ABX with lossless and properly encoded VBR (lame v1) mp3s.

But I guess it's a night and day difference to some
rolleyes.gif

cheechoz thank you for that pm, very mature

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #59 of 64
I don't believe in this $hit!!!! Where is that Pink??? I will smash his pink skull....This stupid RS-1 sounds the same as my Bose triports...
evil_smiley.gif

untitled.jpg

Dec 10, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I don't believe in this $hit!!!! Where is that Pink??? I will smash his pink skull....This stupid RS-1 sounds the same as my Bose triports...
evil_smiley.gif

untitled.jpg

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back