IER Z1R Balanced Cable 4.4 mm MMCX fitment issues
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ssriram2791

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi Community,

I recently got into this audiophile hobby and I have been reading through numerous posts on different headphones/IEMS.

Before I purchased IER-Z1R, I had gone over the following iems in my audio journey

1. AKG K3003
2. AKG N40
3. AKG N5005
4. AUDEZE ISINE 10
5. AUDEZE ISINE 20
6. DUNU DK-3001 PRO
7. DUNU SA6
8. SENNHEISER IE800
9. 64 AUDIO NIO

So, given the variety of IEMs I had opportunity, I was excited to buy IER-Z1R at a good offer.

When I got the product, I was able to fit the 3.5 mm single ended cable MMCX ends to the IER Z1R sockets. But when it came to 4.4 mm cable, I was not able to fit the left side MMCX connector into IER Z1R left side MMCX plug.

So, I am requesting help from the forum on clarifying these questions (based on pictures attached)

1. Does the MMCX socket on left side IEZ Z1R look right or is it broken ?
2. Is my 4.4 mm balanced cable left side MMCX plug (grey color) supposed to be bigger than 3.5 mm single ended one as shown in the picture below (both of them are in grey color in 1 picture) ?
3. Could someone post pictures of theirs (if it is not intrusive) ?

If my IER-Z1R is having a modified left side MMCX socket (based on responses), I want to return it as soon as I can.

I would much appreciate any feedback ! Hope to be part of this community for a long time ! Thank you !
feWNPy3.jpg
5k5cSmx.jpg
QKbRgQs.jpg

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Should be the same size. I think you have a defective cable.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Unfortunately the left side mmcx cable plug is defect and broke inside the left socket

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 11
HiFiHawaii808,

That was quick ! Much appreciated.

So, this means my MMCX ports on left side of the IEM looks correct ? If you have the IEM, could you just confirm if the size of the MMCX plug on 4.4 mm is thin and slender as 3.5 mm as shown in the image above ?

I am planning to use SONY ENCOMPASS USA website to order new 4.4 mm cables, if that is identifed as the problem.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Unfortunately the left side mmcx cable plug is defect and broke inside the left socket
So the MMCX connector on the 4.4 mm cable broke and it is stuck inside the left earphone, if I am reading it right ?

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Is there a way to remove it
Yes have seen the issue a couple of times recently
Is there a way to remove it or am I better off returning back to sender ?

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Forceps. Got any doctor friends?

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 11
I fear for damaging the port while trying to take this off. While deal was good, never expected I would be receiving a product with broken MMCX connector stuck inside 2 Grand IEM.

I very much appreciate all the responses. Hope to return this and get a better one if I need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back