IEM's with similar sound signature to the IE8 for less than $100?
Feb 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I loved my Sennheiser IE8's, until they recently broke on me, and Sennheiser's customer service has not gotten back to me in more than a week.

Anyway, I've done a ton of research in the past week, but haven't really nailed down another replacement pair of headphones to either replace/back up my IE8's, but because of my brother's imminent wedding, I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. What headphones do you guys think would have a similar sound signature to the IE8's for less than $100? I know I'm not going to get the detail, but what would you guys suggest?

I keep hearing different things about the Klipsch S4's, Fischer Audio Eterna, AT CSK70's, and Monster Turbines. I don't really know which to pick, and I know there are many others... Thanks for any help!

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 21
There's that curious Playaz N1 (search it). According to james444 it has a similar sound after EQ'ing.

I have read that the Klipsch can be sibilant.

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 21
Dregur-
I'd say the AT CKS70's. They're actually quite similar to the IE8's. They just don't have the same level of refinement (obviously), and they're a bit darker and have slightly less extended treble. But, the soundstage is pretty darn close which is amazing considering they can be had for under $80.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 21
Eterna is quite similar.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Turbines for less than $100? If you can find them, let me know.

If you're stepping down from the IE8, I would browse the FS/FT forums for some gently used phones. That way, at least you could get some more value for your money.

P.S.: The CKS70s are bassy, but otherwise atrocious. Don't get them.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 21
5 responses. 5 different answers. This is why I've been having a hard time! :p

Quote:

There's that curious Playaz N1

I heard that you have to EQ to get it to be anything good. I don't particularly like using EQ's. Also heard the build quality isn't great.

Quote:

Dregur-
I'd say the AT CKS70's. They're actually quite similar to the IE8's. They just don't have the same level of refinement (obviously), and they're a bit darker and have slightly less extended treble. But, the soundstage is pretty darn close which is amazing considering they can be had for under $80.

Quote:

P.S.: The CKS70s are bassy, but otherwise atrocious. Don't get them.

This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the CKS70's already. I mean, I have IE8's, so I do like bass, but my Denon 551's have a habit of coloring the rest of the sound. I've seen conflicting statements whether or not the CKS70's do that or not.

Quote:

Futuresonic Atrio M5 - pretty similiar too.

I can't find it cheaper than $170.

Quote:

Turbines for less than $100? If you can find them, let me know.

eCOST.com-Monster Cable Turbine High Performance In-Ear Speakers - MHTRBIE - Monster Cable MHTRBIE (Headphones) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 21
The CKS70 is similar to the IE8 but as has been mentioned is not as detailed and lacks some of the treble extension. It may actually have a slightly wider soundstage. I went IE8 from my CKS70 because I wanted the added treble. Now having both I do appreciate the IE8 more but in a pinch the CKS70 is a good alternative. Be sure to burn in the CKS70 for at least 24hrs as it will help tame down the bass which is overwhelming. The midrange and teble reaches their full potential at about 100hrs of use/burnin.

From what I am reading the Pana HE900 may also be a good choice and is only slightly over your price range.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 21
I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Klipsch S4 and CKS70 (I would love to buy the HJE900's, but with shipping it's 50 more dollars, and I've been on a budget that I want to keep to pretty well). Honestly, the only thing holding me back from CKS70 is the rolled off treble. I remember when the UM1's had that, and it drove me nuts until they finally broke on me (I have had the worst luck...). I know people say that I could EQ it, but I tend to listen to up to three different sources in a day (Phone, MP3 player, PC), and some of them don't really have easily accessible EQ's or at all. And the only thing holding me back from the S4's is the fact I really really liked my IE8's sound.

So based off my choice of music, indie rock, rock of all types (both male and female vocals), with a random sampling of hip-hop, and folk (rock), would I miss the treble that the CKS70 apparently does not have?

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Klipsch S4 and CKS70 (I would love to buy the HJE900's, but with shipping it's 50 more dollars, and I've been on a budget that I want to keep to pretty well). Honestly, the only thing holding me back from CKS70 is the rolled off treble. I remember when the UM1's had that, and it drove me nuts until they finally broke on me (I have had the worst luck...). I know people say that I could EQ it, but I tend to listen to up to three different sources in a day (Phone, MP3 player, PC), and some of them don't really have easily accessible EQ's or at all. And the only thing holding me back from the S4's is the fact I really really liked my IE8's sound.

So based off my choice of music, indie rock, rock of all types (both male and female vocals), with a random sampling of hip-hop, and folk (rock), would I miss the treble that the CKS70 apparently does not have?

-Randy

I assume you aren't located in the states? if you are go into to frys get the pure sounds pur-600 and take them back if you don't like them. The staging is on par but the HJEs but wider, the bass isn't as punchy but theres seems to be more quantity especially in the lower region. The treble is nice too. These are like non fatiguing hjes with more bass quantity. I mean of course they aren't as good detail wise, but they're $70 dollars cheaper online($60 in frys) for the price they are very good earphones. I suggest you do more research before buying the klipsch and the cks, I've heard both have boomy bass. They do add a layer of coloring to the sound but it is very small. They sound great to my ears.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 21
CKS70 sounds a lot like the IE8 without the texturing and detail, nor the treble extension or smoothness. But the mids and bass are presented just about the same.

The Mingo WM2 silver with the right tips (IE8 double mold) sound a lot like the IE8, but now quite as laid back, but close. Not as warm, but better deep bass and a little more treble energy. But similar to my ears none-the-less.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 21
I worry that the Mingo WM2's build quality. If better built headphones break on me, I can't imagine how long the Mingo's are going to break on me. It might set a record...

You're the only person/review of those headphones I've seen. I've seen them online for about 40 bucks elsewhere. I've not seen reviews elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back