iems with sennheiser 650 sound?
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ichinichi

1000+ Head-Fier
i am looking to get a lighter pair of headphones or iems that will approximate the sennheiser hd 580/600/650 sound? i've got 580s with 650 grilles and 650 cables. the gf loves the sound but not the added weight (those grilles are heavy!
blink.gif
), so we're looking for a lighter alternative.

budget is $150 or so? anything out there?

edit: i did read another similar thread but it was inconclusive...E4s were mentioned...

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 19
I just bought the Shure e4c and in all SQ aspects, they don't even come close to my Senn 580s.

Do they even make IEMs that could compare to Full-Size phones?

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 19
I always thought that my E500s are close to my HD650s (there are obviously some differences, I would say the midrange of E500s is a bit more forward and I like the highs of HD650s more, but I cannot keep myself thinking that they are somewhat close), but you cannot get those for $150...

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that my E500s are close to my HD650s (there are obviously some differences, I would say the midrange of E500s is a bit more forward and I like the highs of HD650s more, but I cannot keep myself thinking that they are somewhat close), but you cannot get those for $150...

X2 - I also think that the bass is a bit heavier on my E500's as compared to my HD600's

In the $150 range though, it may be tough to find something that will satisfy you. You will likely end up sacrificing SQ on too many levels.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they even make IEMs that could compare to Full-Size phones?

Yes. I would say that the E500's, Triple.Fi's and the new Westone 3's all destroy a number of full-sized cans in terms of SQ. Then there are the custom IEM's too.

They are different experiences though and some people just prefer full-sized cans to IEM's. I personally prefer my customs to most full-sized cans.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Personally, I found the E500 to sound more like Grado due to their upfront sound and somewhat emphasized lower-treble and mids, but that's just me.

I think the UM2 might be what you're looking for. It isn't the ultimate in transparency, and it doesn't have the most treble definition/energy of IEM, but it does sound awful good for someone who likes the somewhat darker, bassier presentation of a HD650.

You might also want to consider looking into the super.fi 5 Pro.

Good luck!

Best,

-Jason

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I found the E500 to sound more like Grado due to their upfront sound and somewhat emphasized lower-treble and mids, but that's just me.

I think the UM2 might be what you're looking for. It isn't the ultimate in transparency, and it doesn't have the most treble definition/energy of IEM, but it does sound awful good for someone who likes the somewhat darker, bassier presentation of a HD650.

You might also want to consider looking into the super.fi 5 Pro.

Good luck!

Best,

-Jason

Agree with you on the UM2 as an alternative, but it's weird, I can barely listen to Grados, yet really enjoy my E500's. I've never personally heard any similarities in the overall SQ, but your statement about them having a similarly "upfront sound" is probably accurate.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with you on the UM2 as an alternative, but it's weird, I can barely listen to Grados, yet really enjoy my E500's. I've never personally heard any similarities in the overall SQ, but your statement about them having a similarly "upfront sound" is probably accurate.

Yeah, we all hear differently which makes participating in this community so much fun and frustrating sometimes. Nothing really sounds exactly like another item, it's just a question of what sonics we're all particularly attuned to and focus on and like. I like the E500 a lot - it was one of my first thoughts when I saw the thread title (actually E5c was the first thought), but then I saw the budget and figured the UM2 was at least a bit closer to it...

Best,

-Jason

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks to everyone! the $150 budget isn't set in stone...so the finalists are E500, E5c and UM2?? of the three, best bang for the buck?

Honestly, I think the E5c is the worst bang of the buck out of the three. There are things I like about the E5c over the UM2, but there are also things I like about the UM2 better. Even being an E5c user myself, given the price difference, it's hard to say one should get the E5c over the UM2, at least IMHO.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back