IEM's with recessed mids?
Jan 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

a~ 1/4 Pepea~ 1/4

New Head-Fier
A lot of the reviews I read concerning those high-end IEMs with Armature drivers usually state that they have "really good mids." I, on the other hand, like to listen to music with pretty low mids (Which is why the "V" type EQ works the best for me.

So I'm wondering, what is the best option I have to get a fairly high-end IEM with really good bass and really good treble, but at the cost of recessed mids? No real price limit since I'm just canvassing
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 19
i have a cowon d2 and a um1. and i like the v shaped type of graph even though the um1 is supposed to have good mids lol. should my treble or bass settings be higher in this case, and how low can the mids go? i am trying to achieve clear and sort of balanced sound

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3. V shaped from the factory.

Really? I thought that they are supposed to be pretty flat and true to the music.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Triple Fi Pro is definitely recessed mids. That would be my #1 suggestion. (and really good bass and treble)

Coming from the overly forward SE530, Westone 3 mids may sound recessed but I would consider them pretty flat.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
denon c751 is a bit like that

They are recessed, when compared to the headphones with forward mids (most of 1-driver armatures) . But I wouldn't call them recessed in straight term.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Isn't that kind of a...bad...thing?
confused_face_2.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Most headphones I've listened to have lower sensitivity mids. That's generally not that hard to find given it's popular and companies tune for it. The bigger question may be how much do you want?

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 19
I've just received new Audio Tech ATH-CK7. They aren't hi-end, and they are not deep canal IEMs, but right out of the box they have a very scalloped EQ. Since they are dynamic not armature, I'm gonna let them burn in for a couple of days, hoping to coax some mids out of them -- they are a little harsh right now.

Hey, coolperl, did that happen for your CK7 -- gain some mids after burn in??

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 19
klipsch image x10. excellent bass, recessed mids id say. i personally wish the mids and the bass were both there tho. but for u, those seem good. the x10's are also only 200 while the triple.fi are about 100 more.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 19
The most disgusting IEMs I have ever heard that proudly showed off their recessed mids were: super.fi 5 Pro and SA6. No folks, drums that sound like they're empty oil drums lined with wool (not the best analogy, but you get the point) are nowhere close to what they really sound like!

The triple.fi 10 Pro isn't as badly blasted with that crippling feature, and same goes for the Westone 3 to an even lesser degree. The former is tolerable unless you actually start focusing on the mids (mostly the singer's voice), and the latter can be rather obvious if the recording was badly recorded to begin with. That's just how the Westone 3 rolls.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh wow, how'd I forget: V-MODA Vibes. All flash, no substance.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 19
Hmmm, my impression is SA6 has forward, central stage mid. TF10 mid isn't all recessed, only the lower to mid range mid are. TF10 higher mid, especially closer to the female vocal region, is actually quite forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back