IEMs with Largest, Most Open Soundstage
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 28
And because the CA Andromeda can effortlessly beat some IEM's costing double or even triple it's own price. (there will be some $2000+ IEM's that I didn't hear yet that are probably better ofcourse)
What IEM does CA Andromeda beat that cost double or triple its price considering Andromeda is itself $1k+

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 28
If you don't mind an IEM with slightly less isolation due to increased driver venting, I'll chip in and say that the Ocharaku Flat 4 series has one of the widest soundstages I've ever heard (easily more so than Andro/ isine 10 with more isolation than the isines). The Flat 4 Keyaki/Sakura/Kaede lineup is worth a look.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 28
What IEM does CA Andromeda beat that cost double or triple its price considering Andromeda is itself $1k+

The Andromeda easily beat the latest Hifiman RE2000 at $2000. Was able to get a similar soundstage but with a much much better tonal balance than the RE2000. The Andromeda sounded amazing on classical or soundtracks for example while the RE2000 sounded bad due to it’s U shaped frequency response. With other types of music, the RE2000 is too bright while the Andromeda remains very balanced and sound better due to it. Also the Andromeda didn’t get beaten in terms of clarity and speed. If the Andromeda was priced $2000 and the RE2000 at $1000, I would have believed it.

The $3000 IEM was the Focal Audio Piano Forte X which got beaten easily by the Andromeda. I literally stopped listening after 1 minute as I already knew the Andromeda was better despite being 1/3 of it’s price.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #19 of 28
The Andromeda easily beat the latest Hifiman RE2000 at $2000. Was able to get a similar soundstage but with a much much better tonal balance than the RE2000. The Andromeda sounded amazing on classical or soundtracks for example while the RE2000 sounded bad due to it’s U shaped frequency response. With other types of music, the RE2000 is too bright while the Andromeda remains very balanced and sound better due to it. Also the Andromeda didn’t get beaten in terms of clarity and speed. If the Andromeda was priced $2000 and the RE2000 at $1000, I would have believed it.

The $3000 IEM was the Focal Audio Piano Forte X which got beaten easily by the Andromeda. I literally stopped listening after 1 minute as I already knew the Andromeda was better despite being 1/3 of it’s price.
Ah okay overpriced ones. I mean it's Hifiman what'd you expect xD.

All my irl friends love the Andro but the biggest gripe I have about them are the thin mids and extremely bad Sub-bass response(compared to similarly priced IEMs), 2 things I cannot live without.
Also Treble quantity was a bit too much for me though I like the extremely smooth Treble.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 28
Ah okay overpriced ones. I mean it's Hifiman what'd you expect xD.

All my irl friends love the Andro but the biggest gripe I have about them are the thin mids and extremely bad Sub-bass response(compared to similarly priced IEMs), 2 things I cannot live without.
Also Treble quantity was a bit too much for me though I like the extremely smooth Treble.

The sub bass frequency is where it should be, but it runs into the limitation of being an IEM. No IEM can deliver the impact and punch of full sized headphones. So I am not going to chase it. IEM’s such as the CA Vega who boost the sub bass to try compensate for the limitations of an IEM mess up the tonal balance for me.

I agree the mids are slightly thin on the Andromeda, especially in comparison to my full sized headphones. But it is something minor as the tonal balance is very good.

For a smooth treble, try using it on the Chord Mojo. The treble is very smooth with that. On an iPhone the Andromeda is significantly brighter in comparison to the Mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 28
The sub bass frequency is where it should be, but it runs into the limitation of being an IEM. No IEM can deliver the impact and punch of full sized headphones. So I am not going to chase it. IEM’s such as the CA Vega who boost the sub bass to try compensate for the limitations of an IEM mess up the tonal balance for me.

I agree the mids are slightly thin on the Andromeda, especially in comparison to my full sized headphones. But it is something minor as the tonal balance is very good.

For a smooth treble, try using it on the Chord Mojo. The treble is very smooth with that. On an iPhone the Andromeda is significantly brighter in comparison to the Mojo.
Yes I always heard the Andro on a Mojo. I just didn't like the combo. Too much Treble for me.
I think IEMs(especially CIEMs) should do sub-bass better than most open full sized cans. The sub-bass on 64 Audio A12 is just so good. Andro is nowhere close to achieving that level of sub-bass. The Andro just never lets you feel the music. CA Vega has its own set of problems with having almost no air.
Also, Andro mids are pretty damn thin imo in comparison to similarly priced IEMs. Say looking at similarly priced IEMs - Dorado, U12, Vega, Athena,UM Maestro, Angie, easily the thinnest. Also the mids are not at all musical and even somewhat sterile.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 28
Yes I always heard the Andro on a Mojo. I just didn't like the combo. Too much Treble for me.
I think IEMs(especially CIEMs) should do sub-bass better than most open full sized cans. The sub-bass on 64 Audio A12 is just so good. Andro is nowhere close to achieving that level of sub-bass. The Andro just never lets you feel the music. CA Vega has its own set of problems with having almost no air.
Also, Andro mids are pretty damn thin imo in comparison to similarly priced IEMs. Say looking at similarly priced IEMs - Dorado, U12, Vega, Athena,UM Maestro, Angie, easily the thinnest. Also the mids are not at all musical and even somewhat sterile.

It will be interesting to give a listen to the 64 Audio A12 if I can find someone who has it. I will keep this IEM in mind.

If you find the Vega having better mids, I find it suprising as the bass bleeds into the mids making it muddy sounding. That might explain why you find it less thin? Same could perhaps be true for the other IEM’s you mentioned, but I have not heard them.

However I can confirm that the Andromeda does have a slight thinness in the mids, but that is in comparison to full sized headphone with no bass bleeds into the mids. I hear a small dip in the mids somewhere (not sure which frequency it is though). But it is small.

If the Andromeda + Chord Mojo is too bright for you, then you need an IEM with alot of roll off? The treble seems to be around the levels of the HD 600 / HD 650 if I would have to take a guess, so the treble of the CA Andromeda is at the right levels.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #24 of 28
It will be interesting to give a listen to the 64 Audio A12 if I can find someone who has it. I will keep this IEM in mind.

If you find the Vega having better mids, I find it suprising as the bass bleeds into the mids making it muddy sounding. That might explain why you find it less thin? Same could perhaps be true for the other IEM’s you mentioned, but I have not heard them.

However I can confirm that the Andromeda does have a slight thinness in the mids, but that is in comparison to full sized headphone with no bass bleeds into the mids. I hear a small dip in the mids somewhere (not sure which frequency it is though). But it is small.

If the Andromeda + Chord Mojo is too bright for you, then you need an IEM with alot of roll off? The treble seems to be around the levels of the HD 600 / HD 650 if I would have to take a guess, so the treble is at the right levels.

Just clarifying, I am not saying Vega has better mids, just thicker mids. I agree the bass overpowers the mids in the Vega which gives an impression of recessed lower mids.

U12/A12 is a very picky IEM, you have to have it exactly with the right configuration or else it sounds bassy and dark. You can fine tune this IEM with its modules. The best way to hear it is with B1 or M15 module + silver cable + high impedance source.

I prefer Headphones and IEMs with very well extended but slightly dark Treble. I am very Treble sensitive. I haven't heard the 600 or 650. They are next on my to hear list.

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 28
Just clarifying, I am not saying Vega has better mids, just thicker mids. I agree the bass overpowers the mids in the Vega which gives an impression of recessed lower mids.

U12/A12 is a very picky IEM, you have to have it exactly with the right configuration or else it sounds bassy and dark. You can fine tune this IEM with its modules. The best way to hear it is with B1 or M15 module + silver cable + high impedance source.

I prefer Headphones and IEMs with very well extended but slightly dark Treble. I am very Treble sensitive. I haven't heard the 600 or 650. They are next on my to hear list.

Sure, I will. Do AK DAP's have high enough impedance for the A12?

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 28
Audeze LCD i4. The ultimate soundstage for IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back