IEMs with flat cable - $150 max budget for girlfriend
Dec 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
She is not an audiophile, but she wants good sound and good design (flat cable highly preferred)

She loves the design of the Dr. Dre Beats Tour, so that purchase is the easy way out, however I am worried the bass might be too much for her. Maybe it won't be...

Must haves:
Good sound (bass is the most important)
Flat cable (not a must but highly preferred.. or replaceable cable so I can install a flat cable)
Good isolation

For reference, her previous pair was Shure se110 I believe. Any help is appreciated and I am not opposed to buying the Beats but if there is something better with a flat cable, I rather do that.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 33
I'm not sure about flat cable but perhaps the shure se215?

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 33

Quote:
I'm not sure about flat cable but perhaps the shure se215?

I am considering those. Is it possible to replace the cable on those for a flat cable?

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
The new xba series from sony have flat cables. Still no U.S. release date though.

edit: Also, why do you want flat cables?

She does. She feels they are "tangle resistant" 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 33
Are there headphones out there in this price range where I can replace the cable with a flat cable?

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 33
I don't know anyone who makes flat replacement cables. 

a-jays three/four are relatively inexpensive, and might meet her needs. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 33
One advice: don't buy the beats tour. They're overpriced and their sound quality is very bad. 

Also, a flat cable doesn't mean better built quality. Actually, I think it's the opposite most of the time. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
One advice: don't buy the beats tour. They're overpriced and their sound quality is very bad. 

Also, a flat cable doesn't mean better built quality. Actually, I think it's the opposite most of the time. 

Trust me, I don't want to purchase the beats. No one ever said the flat cable had better quality, it just tends to be more tangle resistant. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
I have a pair of TDK BA100s on the way- they have a flat cable. It is an armature-based design that is suppose to have good quality bass, though I do not know about the quantity. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584513/tdk-ba100-impressions-discussion-thread

I just quickly read that post and these headphones bass quantity is quite low. As most BA drivers, it's fast and tight, but you don't "feel" the bass as you do with some dynamic drivers. So if the most important part of the spectrum is the low end, I suggest you don't buy these.

Also, I agree that a flat cable is more tangle resistant, but I personally think this shouldn't be one of your main criterias when buying IEMs. Few IEMs have flat cables, so you eliminate many good options. SQ, comfort and durability are a lot more important to me. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 33
The JVC FXT90 and FX500 has deep textured bass with great mids, highs and wide soundstage(cables are also tangled free).

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 33
Like someone stated above, anything braided (Westone) is virtually impossible to tangle. I've had my UM3X for 3 years and the W4 for a month now and no matter how I twist, run, or sleep with them, they NEVER EVER tangle, not to mention, there's no microphonics either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back