IEM's vs full size cans
Jul 3, 2007 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fush

Head-Fier
Hi! This has probably been discussed a lot here, but can somebody please sum up for me: How do IEM's sound compared to full size cans? Say a pair of high end Shure's vs a good pair of Sennheisers. Are the sounds comparable? Do the IEM's sound as good as the bigger phones? I've tried a lot of different big cans, but demoing IEM's is not as easy, from obvious reasons. I just want to get some info on this before I fork out on an in ear pair. Thanks!

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 14
Hey,

On big headphones I have listened to: Sennheiser HD555, HD 650, HD600 all on cardas cables.

On canals I have listened to: Everything except etymotics.

After listening, I feel that only the UE10 Pro can come close to the HD600 on cardas with Ray Samuels amps and a good source. But, if you can sacrifice a little bit of sound quality, I would say go for the IEM. It's much more portable and practical to use. The Shure E4 is a good choice for overall balance and accuracy, but if you want a little bit of bass to your music, I would get the triple.fi 10 pro. Comfort go for the UE5c; absolute best, go for UE10 Pro. Obviously, I own all these phones so I'm bias towards them. But I'm never been a fan of Etymotics, or Westone; I just prefer the UE and Shure sound signature.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 14
I think the only place IEMs have an inherent disadvantage, sonically speaking, is soundstage and high-end extension due to physical limitations. There is also the subjective variable of fit and comfort that may affect the overall experience.

Disregarding this, I believe that IEMs are fully capable of matching or bettering full-size headphones in all other aspects. I fully preferred my old ER4P (and now my iM716) to bigger cans such as the Grado SR225, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, et cetera. Every single one of these alternatives had a more expansive soundstage and top-end extension, but I kept coming back to the ER4's wonderful sound image specificity and unique sound.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 14
i would have to agree with 3XO. despite prevailing opinions, the biggest reason i sold my ex. marantz 67SE > mod Zhaolu D2 > ZL discrete headamp/PPAv2 > HD600 home rig is because to my ears, my Gmod 5g 'pod > tomahawk > mod iM716 is equivalent.

while technically equivalent IMO, the HD600 rig is slightly superior in width of headstage and comfort but the mod iM716 makes up in spades by being totally portable with great intimacy. YMMV of'coz.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 14
E500 is close to HD595 on my opinion, but the E500 vs HD650s is no competition. HD650 blows everything out of its way.

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amped Accura SR-660 will own all IEMs, especially an amped im716!! I can predict my dissapointment now...

I'm willing to take you up on that as a bet.

You'd be surprised at the improvement an amped Ety brings to the table. I'm willing to bet that a Xin'd ER4S is superior to all other universal IEMs and a large number of headphones from an accuracy, separation, detail, and clarity perspective. Hell, the stock ER4S sounds better than the HD600 already.
plainface.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E500 is close to HD595 on my opinion, but the E500 vs HD650s is no competition. HD650 blows everything out of its way.

Hmm... I don't know. To me, it's quite apparent that my Shure SE530s blow my Senn HD555s out of the water - no contest at all. I guess that if the Senn HD595s are much better than the Senn HD555s, than they can match the Shures, but I heard many times that a Senn HD555 has 90% of the SQ of HD595, and if that's the case, then I believe that the Shures will also beat Senn HD595s, although by a smaller margin.

BTW Why do you think the Senn HD650s are so much better? I think it may just be the bigger, more airy sound coming out of the HD650s that makes you think that way. Because my Senn HD555s also sound more airy than any of my IEMs, but for me that doesn't necessarily make them better. The Shure SE530s are less open-sounding, but they have so much detail and such awesome bass and midrange articulation, that the Senn HD555s simply can't compete IMO. The level of detail and articulation on the HD555s is closer to my UE Super.fi 5Pros, although the Super.fis are still slightly better than the Senns IMO.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 14
FWIW, in the UK, super.fi 5 Pros are similar in price to HD650s and the 650s are hugely better in every regard while you're at home.

My problem with IEMs is comfort for extended listening. I've had 650s on my head for 7 hours straight but I have yet to find IEMs that I can regularly use for extended periods without discomfort. They're undeniably more fiddly, too - you can't beat the ease of shoving circumaural phones on your head and pressing play
600smile.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, in the UK, super.fi 5 Pros are similar in price to HD650s and the 650s are hugely better in every regard while you're at home.

My problem with IEMs is comfort for extended listening. I've had 650s on my head for 7 hours straight but I have yet to find IEMs that I can regularly use for extended periods without discomfort. They're undeniably more fiddly, too - you can't beat the ease of shoving circumaural phones on your head and pressing play
600smile.gif

Yeah, the HD650s blow away the 5Pros that's for sure... Personally, however, while I found the UEs to be quite difficult to insert and a bit uncomfortable at first, now that I got used to them, I can put them in just as easily as I can put my Senn HD555s on, and they are almost as comfortable. The experiences with IEMs vary greatly from person to person though, and for example, while I find UE Super.fis easy to insert, quite comfortable, and pretty decent sounding, my dad can't even put them in properly, says that they hurt his ears and sound like crap...

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 14
I have the super fi's with medium tips and prefer the comfort of them to the 650's or any full size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back