IEMs to replace my Triple Fi
Aug 4, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 25
How about the UE4 Pro?

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickd75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not alone in this - my Shure E4s have just bust, and I think it could be due to the same issue. It doesn't help that with the over-the-ear insertion, sweat can run straight down the cable to the earphone. Personally I'm thinking as a result that I should go for a slightly cheaper option as I don't want to shell out £150 every year for a new pair. Or go with a company with a decent warranty

Last night I forced open the broken earpiece and as I had expected, one of the small OFC wires inside had corroded away. I replaced this wire with some taken from an old pair of earphones and now sound does come out of the unit but for some reason or another, it doesn't sounds as full as it used to - I think only 2 of the 3 armatures are providing sound now
frown.gif
Which still leaves me needing to replace these.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #18 of 25
Now I'm a little more confused than I was yesterday.
I've read a few more reviews and opinions on the IE8s and it has been mentioned quite often that they are bass heavy. TrustedReviews have also mentioned that these earphones do not have the detail of other high end IEMs. I have the CX 95s and I don't like the sound coming out of these. Compared to the Triple Fis, they sound far less natural - bass to my ears is too boomy and vocals sound a little muffled. In fact, I prefer the MDR-EX082's that came with my Sony A829. I'm wondering whether the IE8s have the same characteristics as the 95s.

I also have the HD25s which used to sound great to me before I got the Trips - they still sound ok but the Trips just seemed to do everything considerably better.

Now both the UE4 Pro and UM3X are sounding quite interesting but they are slightly more expensive. Does anyone know of a shop in London which stocks the UM3X?

BTW, my sources are a MBP/iRiver H120 -> iBasso D10 and Sony A829.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 25
Here's an insane suggestion, brought to you by either one hell of a bargain or my warped up-too-late mind. While buying hanging-hook crap to scavenge the shell, I discovered the JVC Marshmellow for $20. I can't believe these don't completely suck. I have to keep playing with the EQ on my iPod ("Accoustic" works best for comedy and interviews but is too shrill for a lot of pop/rock while "Rock," "R&B" and "Hip Hop" seem too muted for comedy and interviews) but this isn't bad, certainly not for $20. I've heard a lot worse.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 25
Thought I'd give a follow up to this thread.
Purchased a pair of IE8's a couple of days ago as I heard that they sounded quite similiar to the Triple Fi's, it's replaceable cable and also because I've read so many good things about them on this site.

Straight out of the box, I didn't really appreciate the sound and thought that I might have made a mistake. I have read though that sound of these IEMs change quite dramatically over time while being burnt in so I'm prepared to give them some time. I have about 20 hrs on them now and they are sounding much better than 2 days ago.

The main differences to me between the IE8s and Triple Fi at this point in time are -

The IE8's treble is not as sparkling as the Triple Fi's. Sometimes it can be a little too much but at other times with the right music, it can put a smile on your face.

The IE8's bass is more prominent though not overpowering as I thought it might be. Definitely better in quality than the CX 95's and not boomy.

I use them with the tips that Mark2410 mentions in his Sig and I find the IE8's are far more comfortable than the Triple Fi. I can even wear them in bed and not have to worry about damaging my ears/iems .

Through the Sony A 829's with a bit of EQ they sound ok to me but I do not like the way things sound out of the H120/Ibasso D10 combo.

Right now I'm still prefering the sound of the Trips but I recall that it took me a while to prefer the sound of those to the HD25s.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 25
Great thread. I too am looking to replace the Triple Fis. As you will see from my thread, an Apple remote for my iPhone 3GS is the focus but the question is the same: what follows my much enjoyed UE TFs? Please keep us posted on your IE8 experience as that is high on my list. (And for some reason I think it likely that it will be amongst the first to offer an iPhone 3 button remote - maybe because they are emphasizing future cable options.)

thanks!
Paul

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #22 of 25
TF10 and IE8 don't sound alike, but both have great SQ nonetheless. Personally I don't see both as upgrade of each other, but the different in sound signature is enjoyable.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TF10 and IE8 don't sound alike, but both have great SQ nonetheless. Personally I don't see both as upgrade of each other, but the different in sound signature is enjoyable.

Thanks for that. Just a change in sound signature is attractive to me. I think that my Triple-fis don't lack for quality in any way.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #24 of 25
The IE8 is a dynamic IEM so it will take some time to complete burning in (both mentally and physically), some say around 200 hours for the physical side. Of course this may be a complete lie as people have discussed, but as a believer in burn-in, I believe it can't hurt. Quote:

Originally Posted by fooey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I'd give a follow up to this thread.
Purchased a pair of IE8's a couple of days ago as I heard that they sounded quite similiar to the Triple Fi's, it's replaceable cable and also because I've read so many good things about them on this site.

Straight out of the box, I didn't really appreciate the sound and thought that I might have made a mistake. I have read though that sound of these IEMs change quite dramatically over time while being burnt in so I'm prepared to give them some time. I have about 20 hrs on them now and they are sounding much better than 2 days ago.

The main differences to me between the IE8s and Triple Fi at this point in time are -

The IE8's treble is not as sparkling as the Triple Fi's. Sometimes it can be a little too much but at other times with the right music, it can put a smile on your face.

The IE8's bass is more prominent though not overpowering as I thought it might be. Definitely better in quality than the CX 95's and not boomy.

I use them with the tips that Mark2410 mentions in his Sig and I find the IE8's are far more comfortable than the Triple Fi. I can even wear them in bed and not have to worry about damaging my ears/iems .

Through the Sony A 829's with a bit of EQ they sound ok to me but I do not like the way things sound out of the H120/Ibasso D10 combo.

Right now I'm still prefering the sound of the Trips but I recall that it took me a while to prefer the sound of those to the HD25s.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 25
If you really liked the Triple.Fi 10s, why not buy another pair? Change for change's sake is not always a wise choice. I find the Westone 3s to be a bit similar to the Triple.Fi 10s but with a bigger mid bass hump and a bit less HF extension. The only frequency response graph I've seen on the Westone 3s showed them to be somewhat similar to the IE8s I had seen in other places (the Westone 3 website didn't have the IE8s plotted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back