IEMs to replace my Triple Fi
Aug 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fooey

Head-Fier
Last night after having them for 14 months, my Triple Fi's died on me - sound only comes out of one of the earpieces. I swapped the drivers around to prove that it wasn't a cable issue ...

Now I'm looking to replace these with a different IEM but for a similar cost.
Even though I was happy with the Trips, I want to try something else and I currently have the Senn IE8s in mind.

I'm sure that there are a few people that have gone in this direction and would like to hear from them. I liked the highs, sound stage and detail that the Trips provided to my ears.

Thanks for any replies.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 25
The first headphones i bought over £50 were the UE superfi 5 Pro's.I thought they were amazing as you could hear all the deatils of music.The only problem was the bass,it was there but the treble overpowered it,another issue was the fit,i had the comply's and when i was running they kept coming out.My UE's broke last month(exactly the same problem as you).

So i decided to get as new pair,it was eithe the triple's or the IE8's.I went with the Senn's and i am pretty happy with them,the treble and bass is there.The soundstage is great in my opinion.I still miss the treble of my super fi's but you have to make a compromise.It alllows you to tune the bass,i put it on minimum as there is too much bass on some songs.On the whole i recommend getting them,they are a great pair of headphones,they never fall out and they aren't that big at all.The only one issue i have is that they don't cancel noise nearly as well as the super fi's

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 25
I would suggest the shure se530's. They sound similar to the tirple fi's, but they would be an upgrade imo. The ie8's would be a nice upgrade too. Both are very good. I would get the se530's for noise isolation, and the ie8 for soundstage and bass. Also, have you considered the westone 3's? They have great sound. I can't tell you which phones are better, because it's all a matter of opinion, but I would go with only those if you want an upgrade from the triple fi.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 25
Thanks for the reply.
I run/workout a lot as well and I think that the issue could be that sweat enters the earpiece through the opening and over time corrodes the connecting wires inside ... Makes me think that whatever earphone I get, this will be a re-occurring theme
frown.gif

I bought the Senn CX95s before I got the Trips and I don't like the sound at all. Bass seems to be too boomy for me and I find the overall sound a little on the dull side. I'm hoping that the IE8s don't sound like this at all.

I was thinking of the SE530s but ideally i want something with a replaceable cable which is also the reason why I'm not considering offerings from Westone.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the shure se530's. They sound similar to the tirple fi's, but they would be an upgrade imo. The ie8's would be a nice upgrade too. Both are very good. I would get the se530's for noise isolation, and the ie8 for soundstage and bass. Also, have you considered the westone 3's? They have great sound. I can't tell you which phones are better, because it's all a matter of opinion, but I would go with only those if you want an upgrade from the triple fi.

And Westone UM3X.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 25
Just auditioned the W3, UM3X and IE8 last week - though none sounds like my TF10, I have to said IE8 by far gives me the most enjoyment. UM3X isn't really that impressive comparing to my UM2, and W3 is just a bit disappointing to my ears.

Now that I have listen to almost all the top-end universal (with one exception being ATH-CK100), TF10 is still my favorite and IE8 is more likely to be my next top-end.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 25
I've some posts on the IE8's sound signature and quite a few people have mentioned the recessed mids. Now I know that the Trips suffered from this characteristic as well. Is there an IEM (in this price category) which is a good all rounder?

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 25
i currently have both (heard the w3 too) and i would say the ie8 is your best bet. you might find it lacking in highs compared to the tf10pro (still sparkly though a bit recessed) but overall theyre better sounding. comparing the mids of both ie8 and tf10, my vote goes to the ie8. theyre not really recessed. they just have a laidback presentation.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 25
Going by my ears, I'd recommend the UM3X. Going by the thunderous applause for the IE8, it may be hard not to bite on that particular hook.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fooey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've some posts on the IE8's sound signature and quite a few people have mentioned the recessed mids. Now I know that the Trips suffered from this characteristic as well. Is there an IEM (in this price category) which is a good all rounder?

well the um3x is probably the most rounded with the right source

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

I bought the Senn CX95s before I got the Trips and I don't like the sound at all. Bass seems to be too boomy for me and I find the overall sound a little on the dull side. I'm hoping that the IE8s don't sound like this at all.

I've never heard the CX95 so this should not to be taken as comparable.

There can be a fair 'boom' in the IE8 bass - it gave me quite a shock on one song in particular when I first got them. I find they have a smooth delivery, very relaxing but could be considered dull.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
I run/workout a lot as well and I think that the issue could be that sweat enters the earpiece through the opening and over time corrodes the connecting wires inside ... Makes me think that whatever earphone I get, this will be a re-occurring theme
frown.gif

You're not alone in this - my Shure E4s have just bust, and I think it could be due to the same issue. It doesn't help that with the over-the-ear insertion, sweat can run straight down the cable to the earphone. Personally I'm thinking as a result that I should go for a slightly cheaper option as I don't want to shell out £150 every year for a new pair. Or go with a company with a decent warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back