IEMs that would be closest to a pair of AKG 702?
Mar 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tropics

New Head-Fier
I have almost no experience with listening to IEMs, th last pair I had and used was back in about 2006 and I cannot remember what they even were (they were in the $100 range).

I need a pair of IEMs to use at work and I would like to find sound recreation similar to a pair of AKG 702's. I spent a long time shopping around for those phones trying out higly rated phones from Beyerdynamic and Grado and the AKG's won me over easily with the way they presented the music.

I listen to alot of 80's stuff, 60's, some more modern stuff like Arcade Fire and The Killers, and some odd stuff like older Sarah Brightman back when she did more rock opera orientated stuff from the "Fly", "Dive" and "Eden" albums.

On the first listen of the song "Hungry Like a Wolf" from Duran Duran through the AKG 702's from a FLAC I realized just how detailed alot of songs I had listened to actually are but how muddled the detail gets through lower end sources and espectially through lower end speakers/phones. There is a very distinct aspect of that song, a constant "popping" part of that song that dances around in the background of the music throughout the whole track that was VERY apparent when finally listening to the song on my AKG"s that I had never even really noticed before becaue the mids and lows on every other setup I had listened to simply buried that entire aspect of that song and muddy the whole experience of listening to it.

I am looking for very clear, very balanced and largely unmodifed sound recreation, I have heard alot of people find that AKG 702's sound "flat" due to their subdued base (I find it to be more of a tight base response and realistic when compared to actually hearing a single stomp of an actual base drum in person while sitting in front of the actual instrument).

Soundstage is also important to me but I am not sure how realistic that is to expect in IEM's. The sense of the music not being channeled into your ear through an earbud, the sense of space and the music having a larger more encompassing origin is huge, if that is even possible in IEM's and if certain models really excel in that above others.

So, anyone know of models I should be looking into for that type of thing? My budget is somewhat wide open, I would happily stay in the sub $200 range if there is something awesome in that range but if I am told everything that I really want cannot be had for less then $1000 then that is good to know too.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 5
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-276-iems-compared-sennheiser-cx980-ie7-added-03-23-13-p-655#post_6492044 (recommendations are more active on this one as well)

K702-like, balanced, clarity, <$200 - really just sounds like the HF5. Or the ER-4S if you want slightly better build. The Ety's (well the latter) have been around much longer than the AKGs, and have been described just as you've described them. Well apart from the soundstage.

And the stage thing is always a tricky thing with IEMs. Will make it clear that you will, in no way, find anything near an open-back phone's soundstage on any IEM. They can image well, they can position as well, but sheer lateral size is simply not in the cards. That being said, the EX600s does soundstage outstandingly FOR AN IEM, treble quantity is similar but not as smooth. But again, the size on these will seem just as silly when comparing to other full-sized stuff.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Hmmm... ER4 cannot be worse and in some ways I actually prefer PFE and EX1000 over my K701 due to their better space extension. IEM soundstage generally is however going to be narrower than open headphones due to their canal nature.

If you do not need the isolation the sennheiser mx980 and omx980 are worth checking out too. Their open nature affords them more soundstage and their FR is generally neutral.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 5
superlux hd381F! no joke was on the same journey and after trying close to every in ear on the planet up to 500$ i ended up wth these gems. pretty much the closest to the akg you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back