IEMs that are way low priced for it's sonic quality
Aug 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #31 of 63
How bad is the Tenore "problem"? I'm curious to try them since by most accounts they're the budget king but $50, $60 isn't exactly budget. I'm currently using Sony xba-3 and shure se-215 and used to have the gr07be but sold it since I like full size gear for at home and for portable I don't really care so currently rocking philips and pistons or quadbeat 2, and sennheiser sports iem for running; the sonys dont play nice with my phone and Shures I dont like the fit. Carbo would be an upgrade right? But, the QC is concerning definitely, so maybe vsonic vsd1 or vsd3 would be safer? (Treble on gr07 bothered me a bit and made it sound a little thin for me,worried the cheaper Vsonics are similar

I think the Tenore problem is a bit overblown... rather than a few percentage failure rate as you might see over time with a chunk of people, based on the forums I'd judge it as about 10% or so maybe. Even that may be high, I suspect we probably get a higher rate of people with problems in that thread vs people who haven't had issues.

But regardless, I think in general I wouldn't really call them the budget "king" anymore. For most people's taste they're exceeded by the TTPOD T1E, Havi B3 Pro (Old version), Vsonic vsd3s, or Ostry KC06/KC06A.  There's actually a recent comparison with the current FOTM (TTPod T1-E) http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/5430#post_10759880

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #39 of 63
Oct 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #40 of 63
Oct 19, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 63
Oct 19, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #42 of 63
Oct 19, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #43 of 63
I'm having issues with my quote button. None of those posts went to the right quote. My apologies for any confusion.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #44 of 63
How bad is the Tenore "problem"? I'm curious to try them since by most accounts they're the budget king but $50, $60 isn't exactly budget. I'm currently using Sony xba-3 and shure se-215 and used to have the gr07be but sold it since I like full size gear for at home and for portable I don't really care so currently rocking philips and pistons or quadbeat 2, and sennheiser sports iem for running; the sonys dont play nice with my phone and Shures I dont like the fit. Carbo would be an upgrade right? But, the QC is concerning definitely, so maybe vsonic vsd1 or vsd3 would be safer? (Treble on gr07 bothered me a bit and made it sound a little thin for me,worried the cheaper Vsonics are similar)

In the spirit of the thread, cheapo iems I like under $30:

Panasonic hje120 -amazon popularity contest winner, indeed not bad.
Philips SHE3590- sounds like a refined Panasonic with more sub bass
Pistons 2.0- bass and phone controls!
Senn cx680- sound like the shure se215 but better fit for me
Monoprice9927- they measure great, good mids, not too portable (cable and fit sucks, isolation too) and they do sound cheap and thin when outside, but indoors in a quiet place, very natural lol
Creative EP-630- look like senn cx300 but much much better sounding
Quadbeat 2- probably my favorite of the bunch, punchy with great treble and good clarity, my most used pair when listening to different genres and because phone controls.

The Tenore have very subdued treble. The highs have quick roll off, but stunning soundstage, great detail, and excellent reference sound. The bass is refined but not weighty or prominent. The mids are smooth and lush, but on the darker side. From the descriptions you posted, itses like the Tenore are a match made in audio heaven for you. I'd take the plunge. Oh yeah, I own the tenore, and they've never given me issues with QC. My Doppio are another story altogether.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #45 of 63
Sony mdr-ex58v - sells on fleabay for $15. Everyone who's ever heard it is blown away with how good it sounds

They are better than the Pistons, but have a veiled sound, typical of budget Sony IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back