IEMs suck
Feb 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 33
I've never really had any problems with IEMs; I have only owned 2 pairs of actual phones (Sennheiser 555s (first pair) and K702s) and I loved both of them; everything else was an IEM. The most... awkward would be the Triple Fi 10s because of their design but with standard silicon tips I got a great seal and hardly any discomfort. 

The IEMs like the Shures and Westones with a flush, ergonomic shape are very comfortable. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 33

Quote:
Does anyone else feel like IEM's just hurt? Every time I put a pair in, i feel like Im going to rip my ear off just tryng to get them to sit right. And once they are in, they just hurt. Sure, they sound pretty good since they seal your ear hole. then 5 min later, the sound is un balanced because one slipped out enough to leak, but no enough to fall out of your ear.
IEMs suck.

great customs such  as the jh13 & es5, with a proper fit, will rock your world! absolutely the antithesis of suck. and the upcoming jh3as are one of the finest sound reproduction systems of any sort ever made!
wink.gif
etysmile.gif

Quote:
categorical statements blow

touche!

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 33
I don't really like IEMs that much too but if you find the "right" brand, it can make a good diference. Of course, the great thing about IEMs is their portability. And a good IEM will sound better than some generic speaker when your out and about on the road somewhere.

At home, I would never use an IEM in most cases. Lately I've been using cheap V Moda IEMs for podcasts not because of audio quality but because the sound is acceptable and the seal is good and that's all I need since there is no music generally in these podcasts.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
I don't really like IEMs that much too but if you find the "right" brand, it can make a good diference. Of course, the great thing about IEMs is their portability. And a good IEM will sound better than some generic speaker when your out and about on the road somewhere.

At home, I would never use an IEM in most cases. Lately I've been using cheap V Moda IEMs for podcasts not because of audio quality but because the sound is acceptable and the seal is good and that's all I need since there is no music generally in these podcasts.

That's litterally the only reason why I actually keep iBuds and the like; to listen to podcasts with. When I'm listening to people talk I don't need isolation and it gets irritating after a while to keep putting IEMs in and getting a seal or whatnot, especially when sound quality doesn't matter.

Anything musical though, the IEMs go in. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 33
I can't use them. My ears are very sensitive to pressure, and the seal crated by IEM's is very uncomfortable unless I put them in and do not move a single muscle. So I'm limited to on-ear or around-ear 'phones.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 33
I've used iem's for about 6 years now.  They are okay in my book.  I don't use them around the house though, only for my portable system.  At home I either have my current cans (K701s, hope this summer to expand my collection), or a set of small near field speakers.  The only time they bother me is if for some reason I haven't worn them in a couple of weeks, then the tips feel a bit weird.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 33
I agree with the fit and tips statements. I couldn't stand wearing my DBA-02s for a few weeks until I finally go the insertion right with trimmed triple flanges. Now I don't think I could make it through the school day without them. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:
I've used iem's for about 6 years now.  They are okay in my book.  I don't use them around the house though, only for my portable system.  At home I either have my current cans (K701s, hope this summer to expand my collection), or a set of small near field speakers.  The only time they bother me is if for some reason I haven't worn them in a couple of weeks, then the tips feel a bit weird.

yes, now that I upgraded the amp in my living room system, speakers even more clearly outdo headphones.
my second preference after playing my planar full range systems (loudly) are the tube-amped beyers at work
or at home, comfy and engaging. but at least once a day I'm extremely grateful for IEMs, walking the dog. and
I wouldn't enter an airplane without IEMs either. now that I have custom IEMs, they come pretty darn close to
listening to a big rig, honest guv!

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 33
try headbanging with HD600's...then u ll realise the importance of IEMs

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 33
I always hated IEMs, the smallest tips I've had the chance to try (older iBuds and various skullycandy) really put too much pressure on my ear canals. Fought through it when I was younger not knowing the comfort of larger headphones.

I find myself wanting to get some custom fit IEMs for school use but I can't justify that much money on something I won't wear more than maybe 2-3 hours a week. Maybe in the future if I have a large sum of extra cash and a larger demand for portable music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back