IEMs suck
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ekliptiko

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone else feel like IEM's just hurt? Every time I put a pair in, i feel like Im going to rip my ear off just tryng to get them to sit right. And once they are in, they just hurt. Sure, they sound pretty good since they seal your ear hole. then 5 min later, the sound is un balanced because one slipped out enough to leak, but no enough to fall out of your ear.

IEMs suck.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 33
I thought the same when I got my first iem but since then I've realized it's about getting the right sized tips and the insertion method. I can have them in my ears for hours without discomfort.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 33
Back in the Ety ER4 days, the silicon tips made me feel like I was being violated by a gorgon-inflicted rattlesnake's patoot. I use TP10s now, no issues. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 33
I'm not huge on IEMs mostly because I dislike having to worry about a seal at all, regardless of comfort. They do have their place, though.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 33
I agree. They suck. Especially since the time my cord got caught on my desk, I stood up, and ripped a hole in my eardrum (perforated eardrum) from the sudden pull of pressure. It took awhile to heal and did okay, but I don't use them anymore out of fear. The pressure from them also still bothers that ear.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 33
I'm ambivalent about IEMs. I can listen to the old e3cs and mostly enjoy them, but not nearly as much as full-sized headphones or speakers.

So I only end up using them on airplane trips. Lately, that's been once or twice a year. I've been tempted to pick up a JH13 (they sound great) but doubt I'd use them instead of my other gear. I'd like to buy a pair, but don't want them sitting in the drawer.

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
nope your just using the wrong ones and the wrong tips and/or putting them in wrong

+1, if you're still disappointed you're expecting too much, I wear iem's when out and about, when i'm not I listen to my speakers. I realise it's completely the wrong forum but I now don't actually own a pair of full-size headphones, I have no use for them. I have a good headamp but I don't need to turn up speakers to "neighbour annoying" levels to enjoy them.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 33
No I think you just have a bad fit. I had issues with that on some of my Sennheiser IE8 ear pieces. Some of them fit very nicely but were horrible for long use. I found the comply foam tips fit best for the most comfort. The sound stage is taken a little farther away also the bass but it sound excellent regardless. They offer me a reprieve when my ears need them from the less comfortable latex pieces ( at least that's what I think they are made of)

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 33
IEM's aren't for everyone. I have a few different sets and after wearing any of them after about 4 hours They do hurt my right ear. I have tried all sorts of different things with no success. If I know I will need to listen to something for 4 or more hours I go with over the ear cans.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 33
Personally, i dislike Iem's. I dont like anything that goes inside my ears. 

I find full size hp's more comfy. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 33
I'm perfectly fine with stuff inserted into my ear canal, but my wife can't stand it. She says the feeling is unbearable after a while and it just grates on her nerves. She can't even wear soft foam earplugs when it's noisy and she needs to get some sleep--she'd rather try to fall asleep with all the noise. I feel sorry for her because I just use earplugs and sleep like the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back