IEMs staying in my ears?
Jul 1, 2008 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Riggaberto

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry, this is all pretty basic, but I appreciate the help. If there's an IEM FAQ somewhere that answers all these questions a link will suffice.

I can't use ipod earbuds (luckily I dont need to), because theres no way they stay in my ears.

I'm not familiar with the way IEMS work other than they stick in your ears, but I'm mainly wondering if I cant keep earbuds in my ears, will IEMs stay?

I don't just mean they fall out occasionally like the average person, I cant move at all or they fall out, I just dont have the correct ear shape I guess.

IEMs seem so nice and portable, it would be nice to have something even more compact & better than the sennheiser pmx100s that I have now for portable purposes.

Also, would I be able to work out with them?

Thanks again everyone.

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 5
IEMs are different, I suggest you give them a try. I know a lot of people that can't use earbuds at all, but universal IEMs work perfectly for them.

And if you are still unsure, just go custom, like livewires or Freqs.

What's your budget?

Jul 1, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a guide on IEM, which I guess is as close as you can get for a FAQ. You can find the link in my signature under 'reference'.

If your requirement for SQ isn't too high, I'll suggest you start with an IEM less than $100 to begin with.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are different, I suggest you give them a try. I know a lot of people that can't use earbuds at all, but universal IEMs work perfectly for them.

And if you are still unsure, just go custom, like livewires or Freqs.

What's your budget?

I don't have a plan to buy any yet, but if I got some, I'd probably spend good money. Just reading some basic stuff on headphone.com I didn't realize they could actually sound so good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a guide on IEM, which I guess is as close as you can get for a FAQ. You can find the link in my signature under 'reference'.

If your requirement for SQ isn't too high, I'll suggest you start with an IEM less than $100 to begin with.

My quality requirement would be pretty high, but I'd spend less than $400.

Also, do you pay a premium for the small size? Will $200 get me similar quality to SR225s; I realize they will sound different, but is it comparable quality?

Would the DENON AH-C351K be a good choice for something under $200 to start with?

An IEM would be pretty exclusively for mobile, non amped (usually) use. Might use at home for isolation amped occasionally as well.

Sorry, just kind of rambling, but thanks for the help.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Yes, you do pay a premium for the small size.

Assuming you don't want to get custom (LiveWire and FreQ are both w/i your budget), the best way is skipping all the low end stuff and get the best SQ you can afford, if you have made up your mind about getting an IEM. Klipsch Image X10 and Sleek Audio SA6 are some of the most comfortable, great sound IEM under 400. Shure SE530 is quite good but the cable crack easily. UE Triple.fi 10 probably is a bit of hit or miss on comfort.

For ~100, try Head-Direct RE2, Westone UM1, Etymotiv ER6i, or Denon AH-C551. All should be better choice than C351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back