IEM's not securely fitting. Recommendation for tips?
Sep 6, 2011 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

swlondon

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I own the a-Jays Four IEM's.

They come with a range of different sized tips, however I just feel that none of them fit really snugly in my ears.
I had some cheap in-ear Sony buds before which came free with my mobile phone and I remember them being more fitted and stuck.
I think the problem with the a-Jays for me is that the speaker tube is not very long and so maybe that is causing the IEM's to sit more loosely. It feels as though a slight tug on the cord would pull them out of my ears.

I was wondering whether I might be able to buy the Etymotic style tips anywhere in the UK or online? Will these fit my a-Jays though?

If not then what do people make of the Comply tips?

Is there any other brand of tips that people recommend?

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 12
Have you had a search on the net? There are plenty on eBay.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 12
There are Etymotic tips and other triple flanges on eBay.

Quote:
Coolio, thanks for that. Just did a search today after you mentioned that.
Comply tips look good!

Still wouldn't mind seeing if the Etymotic style tips are available anywhere.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 12
After trying out a free pair of comply (gray foam) tips, i found that my ear buds stayed in my ears soooo much better. The extra friction keeps them in your ears and actually creates a better seal with your ear canal as well, improving the sound of the iem.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 12
I find that Comply tips change to sound too much for my liking, and that they expand too rapidly when they have been warmed by my ears. They also became sticky when I sweat at the gym or when playing sport. I find Sony Hybrids much more comfortable, they last longer, they are cheaper, they are easier to clean, they look better (and people don't ask you, "What are those tips?") and their effectiveness doesn't change with temperature.

Quote:
After trying out a free pair of comply (gray foam) tips, i found that my ear buds stayed in my ears soooo much better. The extra friction keeps them in your ears and actually creates a better seal with your ear canal as well, improving the sound of the iem.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 12
No I haven't, are they long tips?

Problem I think with my A-Jays is that the diode (I think that's what it is called, it's the tube which goes into the ear canal and onto which the tip sits) is short.

Are the Sony hybrids longer tips? I tried a pair of double flange tips on some Jamo's yesterday and they sunk into my canal so nicely. They went in quite deep into the canal. That's what I am looking for.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 12
No, sony hybrids aren't long.  You can buy triple-flange tips (and cut the third one off if you want doubles) off ebay, but I don't know what the tube width is on the a-jays so I can't really recommend what kind to get.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Hey SWLondon,
You have nice earphones, but an unfortunate issue - the sound port of the earphone is too large for tips from the places you mentioned. Those foam tips are made specifically for small, long sound ports, and won't fit the AJays 4. I am not completely sure, but I think the same is true of the double or triple flange tips. If not all, then most of them won't work either.
Send me a DM and I'll help you out further.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Get some Etymotic iems.  They go very deeply into the ear and I have found them to be extremely snug and they are not uncomfortable either.  I have both Comply foam tips and Shure olives.  I am on the first set of olives still and they work wonderfully.  I will try the Comply tips next whn this set wears out.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Get some Etymotic iems.  They go very deeply into the ear and I have found them to be extremely snug and they are not uncomfortable either.  I have both Comply foam tips and Shure olives.  I am on the first set of olives still and they work wonderfully.  I will try the Comply tips next whn this set wears out.

Hi there Merck, thanks for the reply. But can I get Etymotic tips for my A-Jays Fours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back