IEM's: Just can't be satisfied! What do I do? (UM-2's,FS EM-3's)
Apr 28, 2007 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
Not happy with my IEM's. Need advice from the sages.

I really like IEM's. I mean the concept that is. I play music professionally and have for 10 years or so now and I bought an IEM system 6 years ago cause it's the thing to do. Really it is. Especially for your hearing.

But here's the problem. I just can't find the killer IEM's that I can afford. I started out with the Futursonic EM-3's. There a single dynamic driver in a brown casing with foam tips supplied. Look good. KILLER bass. rolled off highs. But that worked cause I could just boost highs at my rig. Very uncomfortable. Hard to get a good seal. Eventually the cables became stiff and I knew they we're gonna hold up on the road for years the way I needed an IEM too.

So I came here. I read, I asked, I read, I tortured myself over the purchase cause I needed an IEM that was build well to take constant road use (abuse), was comfortable and sounded really good. I ordered some UM-1's. The were really comfortable, built really well. Didn't sound that great. I sent them back and pony'ed up another c-note+ and ordered the UM-2's. I Liked them enough. Better highs, very comfortable, built really well. But that peaky treble thing it has at around 7k just drives me crazy. Pretty fatiguing to me. I can pull it out with an EQ in my live rig pretty well but they still don't sound that natural to me. And with my iPod they fatigue my ears pretty quick. So I'm looking around again. I spend $250 on these and I'm looking for the next best thing. I can't afford to drop much more on a new set. I'd have to sell my UM-s to pay for an upgrade and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I wish I could audition some E500's, or the new Futursonic Atrios. They sound like they could win me over and make me sell my UM-2's. The UE Super-Fi's are probably out of the question cause I just don't think they'd take the road abuse. I wonder too about the Futuresonic Atrios.

What do you think?

confused.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the LiveWires T1's that are dual driver custom IEM's, at a price of $249. (!!)

You can get them at Todd The Vinyl Junkie...

That's VERY interesting.....I'm research. THANKS!!

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojyarumaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er6?

No [insert expletive of choice] ing way! I hate those things.

etysmile.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 12
So.... I've never heard the Sensaphonics but two reviews I read said the Live Wires sound remarkably similar to them. So how would they sound compared to my UM-2's? People I know who've heard the Senaphonics (2X-S) raved about them. But then again people raved about the UM-2, which got me to where I am now. I mean when I can get a good EQ on them these UM-2's they sound good to great. But I without a good EQ I can't listen to them for very long before that peaky thing starts to fatigue my ears.

So the more I read about the Live Wires the more I want to put my UM's on EBAY or sell them here and buy some Live Wires!

DAMN YOU HEAD FI!!

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 12
hey why dont you try klipsch custom 3 no fatigue at all awesome sound no eq required. mids r excellent and bass is accurate just give it a try they wont let u down. highs r also very well defined as long as you get a perfect seal iam sure you will. I have no problems iam using the small tip eargel it is perfect. iam also using it with iphone 3g direct without eq ( no amp ).

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Sounds like custom IEMs may be for you. For one, they don't rely on foam tips that wear out and need to be replaced. Also, nothing like losing one IEM tip on the road - frustrating when you can't find a replacement tip.

The hard shell acrylic custom IEMs are supposedly more durable than the more comfortable softer-shelled custom IEMs, but you'll get used to the acrylic. There's no foam to replace or tips to lose. The replaceable cables are a plus.

I think the Livewires at $249 are a bargain compared to universal IEMS such as the TF10 or SES530. (Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones) They also have a 30-day money back guarantee. If you really like the Future Sonics sound, the Livewires will sound lean in comparison. The LW have great bass extension, but little bass slam in comparison, though they do respond well to EQ.

To combine the crispness and detail of the Livewires with the bass of the Future Sonics, I ended up with a UE 11 Pro custom.

For long-term listening, I like the Future Sonics M5/8 because of it's non-fatiguing sound.

Another alternative is to get a custom sleeve for an IEM of your choice, though you still risk losing the sleeve when it detaches from the IEM. By the time you add the cost of the custom sleeve (around $150) and the IEM, you can get a custom like the Livewire of Freq.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No [insert expletive of choice] ing way! I hate those things.

etysmile.gif

Why?

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Sony EX700s and Shure e530s. They are very nicely balanced throughout and are comfortable. EX700s would be my choice for lower cost and e530s would be my choice if money is not a problem. Atrios are WAY too bass heavy. Unless you want to feel like you're listening through a car stereo with monster woofers, then I would not go for the Atrios. UE have a very flat sound (the better sounding UEs) or muddy (the lower end UEs) and they also have a bit of quality issue as the wire has a tendency to die on you (this is from experience with a few pairs).

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE have a very flat sound (the better sounding UEs) or muddy (the lower end UEs) and they also have a bit of quality issue as the wire has a tendency to die on you (this is from experience with a few pairs).

My understanding is that UE fixed that problem months ago.

Portable Setup: Zen Sleek -- Cardas Mini -- Go-Vibe Petite -- Denon C751
Home Setup: Dell XPS -- MHDT Labs Paradisea+ DAC --Darkvoice THA332 Amp -- ATH W5000/Senn HD595

Users who are viewing this thread

Back