IEMs have unfair advantage over Headphones?
Jul 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #16 of 44
Geez, Nocturnal, I don't want to stick crap inside my ears. What are you, nuts?

Get some tubes, a nice cd player, and some big ol' comfy Beyers. Then you'll hear some high-end love rather than some technical rape.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 44
well. i am hoping they aint that bad as although i was looking for some full size closed phones for on the bus after trying out my senn's i have found they ain't too practical mainly as i would struggle to put my hood over them if it rained and also heat problems in the summer like it is.

Don't like the idea of shoving something in my ear but i can't stand the earbuds i have just now and want something to sound good whilst not leaking in or out.

looks like i have no choice but to do some research into these things.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think cans or even better loudspeakers offer a better experience at home but IEM's are the way to go when listening to mobile sources.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nocturnal310, how many full-sized headphones have you listened to? Which ones? If so, did you listen to them with a non-portable desktop amp with a decent source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You (IEM) people seem to prefer IEMs just because you happen to listen to them in noisy environments. In those environments the noise attenuation will give a nice boost what comes to dynamics. I haven't heard any decent IEM so I can't but presume the full-size phonies will own iems of any kind in quiet environments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Iems will never be able to compete 1 on 1 with full size supra or circumaural when it comes to sound quality imho. For one there's no representation of soundstage to speak of. Some people may like that inside your head sound but it's a huge technical limitation nevertheless. The only reason to go iem is isolation.

All comments are pretty much correct. System quality/synergy will play a role but if you have a good source, good desktop amp and good headphones you will experience far more than any IEM I am aware of being fed by the same quality desktop gear (let alone even the best portable gear).

Yet IEMs, to me, DO have a strong place. Sure noise attenuation is one side of the isolation argument but the other is noise for those around you in quiet environments. Although my ER4Ps aren't as enjoyable as my full size electrostats before sleeping, if my wife is already asleep when I get to bed you can bet it's time for the IEMs!
wink.gif

And I'd argue the 'soundstage' comment. Although it isn't the same level of soundsatge as the best headphones, I think some portable amp manufacturers, Xin in particular, have voiced their amps to provide a quite wide soundstage experience for the owner of a good set of IEMs.

Overall, though, headphones do rule.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Nocturnal310, how many full-sized headphones have you listened to? Which ones? If so, did you listen to them with a non-portable desktop amp with a decent source?

What he said.

I fail to see how IEMs carry an unfair advantage over headphones
confused.gif

Other than portability that is

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #20 of 44
errr...

let's not be too aggressive to the thread starter,

everything have its purpose.

as much as I prefer headphones, I enjoy the fact that iem exists, because they give very good quality for its size and serves to isolate which allows me to be insulated from a noisy environment.

let's not see this thread as strictly a A vs B , rather A and B both has its own exclusive merits.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 44
I think perhaps IEMs are becoming more popular because the quality and sound ability is increasing, and more people who listen to music while commuting, be it a bus, train, or carpool, are starting to take advantage of them whereas before, they'd either have stuck with normal headphones (I would imagine supra aural being the most common) or the stock earbuds, or have not listened to music at all.

Also, I think portable music players are becoming much, much more widespread (to the point where we see phones marketed with their music storage capacity as a major point), and that is, in turn, driving up IEM sales.

I'd personally be interested in seeing a sales analysis between historical and recent headphone sales, and historical and recent IEM sales, to see if "normal" headphone sales have actually diminished, rather than staying the same while IEM purchases increased quite a bit.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 44
From the few IEMs I have heard, none of them sound as good as the larger headphones.

But I still do keep a pair around, as the isolation and portability is what makes them worth keeping.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 44
I picked Can't Say.

Since iPods and other small portable music players are the only product catagory (In Music reproduction) where there is any real growth it makes sense that IEM that are small, portable and offer higher performance than stock ear buds are also experiencing unprecedented sales growth. So they have a sales advantage.

As far as sound quality goes I perceive no advantage (Except for isolation). Any number of full sized Dynamic and or Electrostatic headphones offer what to my ear is dramatically better sound quality than any IEM. So no advantage here.

It's basically a silly question. Does a Mini-Van have an Advantage over a Sports Car? Since they are products aimed at totally different markets each will have differing strengths (Advantages).

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as sound quality goes I perceive no advantage (Except for isolation). Any number of full sized Dynamic and or Electrostatic headphones offer what to my ear is dramatically better sound quality than any IEM. So no advantage here.

ditto

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

most of the Sennheisers & AKG ... HD280,HD515,555,595....list goes on... i didnt listen them on a computer actually (yes all were amped).
You cant judge full-sized cans without an Amp & a Lossless playback.

Notice i used the word 'unfair' for some reason.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs are toys compared to men's stuff, yeah! And by that I mean the men's headphones! Those you can actually call cans!

actually i had included that line. it is a perfect way to put it.

I am just feeling that due to IEMs dominating the consumer market.. You dont even find true Headphones easily.

and i am more of a Headphone supporter so i wanted to put it in Headphone section.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 44
bigger = better. This is true even in the noise isolation department. My Pro 750's stomp all of the IEMs that I have including the Shure 500s. I hope this does not lead to a thread about port equip being better than home equip.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 44
I love my ER-4P.

That said, if I'm at home, they sit coiled up in their case. When I'm at home, the AD700s are used.

It's not an "unfair advantage." It's completely different applications. It would obviously be impractical and difficult to use my full-size headphones with their 9-meter cable in a portable application.

Likewise, why should I sacrifice the open-air design, superior soundstaging and bass capability, not to mention comfort, of my full-size cans while at home?

I will always have both IEMs and full-size headphones. For listening on-the-go, where I need isolation and compact size, nothing can beat the in-ear.

For home listening, when I'm largely sitting still at my desk, or lounging on the couch reading a book, the IEM's isolation and size are far less useful (and are possibly a hindrance) while the full-size headphone's superior comfort, bass impact and soundstaging are desirable.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #30 of 44
They just used for different things. I started off with IEMs since they are just so popular. They are much easier to purchase at a brick and mortar store like Best Buy. But they cannot (so far at least, don't know about the future) provide the sound quality of a well amped, well sourced full sized headphone. They just don't have the soundstage and "ooumph" that full sized headphones give. However, what they do have are convenience, portability and isolation. A small IEM is much easier to bring everywhere and listen to. You can wrap them around your DAP or phone or whatever you use and stuff them in your pocket, something you obviously cannot do with a full sized headphone like the HD650... So basically, while most IEMs pale in comparison in terms of sound quality to full sized gear, they make up for in convenience and isolation, two things that matter more to the average consumer and as such companies will focus and develop more for that market wants. Since most people are not willing to spend $200+ on a pair of decent full sized headphones that they won't get to use on the subway or on the bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back