IEMS for small canals that are 'budget conscious'
Nov 8, 2008 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wtruitt

Head-Fier
Folks..
Been following the myriad of posts from folks that have small ear canals (like myself).. issue that I see is that most of the recommendations are in the $300 and up range. For us "small canal" but budget conscious.. any thoughts? I just purchased Yuin PK2's which I really like, but they are not going to be what I want to use for workouts, etc.. I've thought of Westone UM1's or Jays Q-Jays.. thoughts?

OOPS.. looks like the Q-Jays are out.. I didn't know they were nearly $200.00...
Is there anything in the "under $100" mark that sounds nice and may be ok for smaller ear canals?

Thx in advance..

Wayne

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 20
What matters for small ear canals is the size of the radius of the plastic where you attach the tips (can't remember the name of this). What I suggest is find one where the radius of the plastic piece is small and using comply (foam) tips. This will be the most comfortable option for small ear canals.

The radius of the q-jays is actually larger than that of the most others but it is still ok for small ear canals.

The Etymoric ER6i's are great for small ear and are about the best buy you are going to get for your money.

Another good option is the Future Sonics Atrios M5 but they are a little out of your budget. The ER6i and and Atrio M5s have a very different sound signature.

Stay away from all Ultimate Ears products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks..
Been following the myriad of posts from folks that have small ear canals (like myself).. issue that I see is that most of the recommendations are in the $300 and up range. For us "small canal" but budget conscious.. any thoughts? I just purchased Yuin PK2's which I really like, but they are not going to be what I want to use for workouts, etc.. I've thought of Westone UM1's or Jays Q-Jays.. thoughts?

OOPS.. looks like the Q-Jays are out.. I didn't know they were nearly $200.00...
Is there anything in the "under $100" mark that sounds nice and may be ok for smaller ear canals?

Thx in advance..

Wayne

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etymoric ER6i's.... ....are about the best buy you are going to get for your money.

Back in the day yeah, but today it faces real stiff competition from the Head-Direct RE2 and the Denon C751, although the Denon c751 has a different sound signature from the RE2 and ER6i (that being less bright, forward mids, good bass, both quality and quantity wise and better overall sound).

The C751's are a no brainer SQ wise ~$110 mark really.
Many people that have had both the RE2 and ER6i's say that the RE2 is a 'more refined' er6i.

I'd go Denon c751's with some Comply tips as they will mold to the shape of your ear + the Denon default tips are a joke.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 20
etymotics have smaller tips than th re2's ... i have owned both. The small tips on the etys are too small for me. All the double flange tips of re2's are slightly big for my ears. You can use the single flange tips but less isolation ....

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etymoric ER6i's are great for small ear and are about the best buy you are going to get for your money.

Actually, altec lansing im616s are the best buy you are going to get for your money. I got mine for 40 bucks from amazon. Theyre made by etymotic for altec lansging and from all Ive read here I've gathered here theyre better than ER6i's.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoolage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, altec lansing im616s are the best buy you are going to get for your money. I got mine for 40 bucks from amazon. Theyre made by etymotic for altec lansging and from all Ive read here I've gathered here theyre better than ER6i's.

X2 on these for great SQ and small ear canals. The Denons are canal phones, and have large sound tubes. Same with RE2s (I have owned both). The 616s are excellent phones for the money (if you get them on Amazon from third party seller for that $40 tag). One $$$ consideration, the 616s (and ther6i) require filter replacements from time to time, and the filters cost extra (available from Ety direct).

But the ALs are great phones, if you use them with small Comply P series, or better yet, the small blue Ety flanges. Again, available from Ety direct.

The ALs and the Etys are true IEMs, in that they go deeper into the ear canal, but with small sleeves/flanges, they are easier to maintain a seal with (and provide better isolation) than most canal style phones, which sit more on the outside of the ear canal (unless you use a large bi-flange).

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 20
If you're going to use the etys for smaller ears, you'll need the smaller size blue tips.

0060100025.jpg

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 20
You know.. I had read the comments on the im616's, and one person indicated that he had small ears and they didn't work for him.. made for folks w/ large ears. I take it that its a case of YMMV? Also, the blue tips for the Etys would work on these? Wayne Quote:

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 20
Not sure why they didn't work, since the tips are what matters. Yes, those blue Ety flanges will fit the 616s. I have small ear canals too, and own the 716s, and they fit fine, with small flanges/Complys.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the Altec suggestion. The iM716 would be even better.

I agree, although if the OP doesnt want to have to use an amp, the im616s are probably better. I personally chose the im616 because I use them at the gym and for portable use alot and I dont want to have to deal with an amp. I did however order a Fiio a few days ago and they should sound pretty darn good with the 616s when I get it.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I agree, although if the OP doesnt want to have to use an amp, the im616s are probably better. I personally chose the im616 because I use them at the gym and for portable use alot and I dont want to have to deal with an amp. I did however order a Fiio a few days ago and they should sound pretty darn good with the 616s when I get it.

Just a side note... I've found the synergy of the E3 to dramatically vary. Any low impedance, iems with a strong low end sound too bassy and have hiss with this amp. But sometimes every other iems dont sound that great. I'd like to know how the im616s sound with the E3. Let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back