IEMs for sleeping - any others to try?
Jan 8, 2024 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

subwoofer

Head-Fier
Dear All, I am hoping there may be a few suggestions you can make for IEMs that fit a specific set of requirements for every day use while going to sleep.

I had found what was my ideal IEMs for this purpose the Fidue A31s. The problem is I am now on my last set of a discontinues model which leaves me needing to find an alternative.

Previously I had use the Sennheiser CX 300 II, but this is now a dated model and the A31s had a better sound for me. If I have to the CX300 might be the option I need to go with.

My personal requirements mean I need the following:
Not too expensive - I expect to damage these by pulling on them and rolling over them, so consider them consumables.
Low profile - when fitted I want to be able to lie on my side without them pushing into my ears much.
Bass heavy - at low volumes I still want to hear the low lows.
Soft cables - (the A31s actually does not, so this is the ideal).
Can be removed by pulling on the cable - not best practice, but I do this unconsciously, and the A31s and CX300 have survived quite a bit of this.

Any ideas welcomed so I can test a few and then stock up.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 18
I just got the Moondrop Chu II and they're smooth and low profile and have bass that will impress. Turn up the volume on a bass heavy track and you'll vibrate out of your chair like a hovercraft.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 18
I just got the Moondrop Chu II and they're smooth and low profile and have bass that will impress. Turn up the volume on a bass heavy track and you'll vibrate out of your chair like a hovercraft.
Thanks for the suggestion. How do you think they fit in with what I need? Just re-posting my list with what it looks like to me.

My personal requirements mean I need the following:
Not too expensive - Good
Low profile - They look quite large, is this misleading?
Bass heavy - Sounds good
Soft cables - ??
Can be removed by pulling on the cable - ?? with the over ear cable position, this looks like I would not be able to pull them out by the cables.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 18
IE40
These? They have elevated subbass relative to the gain region and they are low profile. I don't know if they qualify as cheap or not, and MMCX is give and take for your case.

QKZ HBB
If you feel more adventurous about trying a non minimal size IEM. They might not look comfy, but I think you'll be surprised. I fall asleep sometimes with much larger IEMs on, and smaller IEMs often have odd shapes that apply pressure on small contact points and get painful over time. Anatomical shapes like that distribute the pressure more evenly, so I don't notice discomfort when I lay on my side even with something as chunky as my Maestro SE. These are also tuned quite bassy.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 18
IE40
These? They have elevated subbass relative to the gain region and they are low profile. I don't know if they qualify as cheap or not, and MMCX is give and take for your case.

QKZ HBB
If you feel more adventurous about trying a non minimal size IEM. They might not look comfy, but I think you'll be surprised. I fall asleep sometimes with much larger IEMs on, and smaller IEMs often have odd shapes that apply pressure on small contact points and get painful over time. Anatomical shapes like that distribute the pressure more evenly, so I don't notice discomfort when I lay on my side even with something as chunky as my Maestro SE. These are also tuned quite bassy.
I take your point on larger IEMs maybe having less pressure points.

One of the reasons that I need to pull them out by the cable though is that I do need to get them out before morning without waking up much as I need to hear my alarm. On the occasions I have managed to wake up with the A31s still in my ears, I've nearly missed my alarm.

Have you ever tugged the larger IEMs out by the cable?

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Ikko OH10 is very low profile, with good bass & treble, slightly V shaped -- but not missing mids, just a bit of bass + treble boost. I've had mine 2+ years now, it is my sleep IEM.

One thing about sleeping with IEMs -- you also need a shallow or low profile ear tip. Ear tips that extend too much from the IEM nozzle can get bent, smushed in the ear when sleeping on your side and your head pressed into the pillow.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 18
I use my OG P1s for that since they're pretty low profile and MMCX means I won't bend pins. I got shallow tips on them so they fall off instead of being pulled while I sleep. Mandatory Qudelix because they sound like ass without EQ.
I just got some Shokz, mainly because I'd rather not have anything inside my ears while I sleep. It gets uncomfortable after 1 hour+. I used to sleep with speakers on low but my wife hates it.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I take your point on larger IEMs maybe having less pressure points.

One of the reasons that I need to pull them out by the cable though is that I do need to get them out before morning without waking up much as I need to hear my alarm. On the occasions I have managed to wake up with the A31s still in my ears, I've nearly missed my alarm.

Have you ever tugged the larger IEMs out by the cable?
No, I just have my IEMs plugged into my V60, my alarm goes off on my phone and it gets plenty loud.

If that's not an option, maybe an open back IEM? Kinera celest pandamon for example. Not bassy, but they don't block sound much at all, so you'll hear whatever is going on.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 18
I sleep on the side with Beyer Xelento and their special oval tips. It works ok for about 15-30 minutes if I make sure to have a soft pillow to lie my head on. Then I need to switch on the back because it starts to hurt my ear. I've tried many others without success. I'd love to try the Dita Perpetua or the Ikko OH7, from their shape I think they might be good candidates also. Unfortunately these are all quite expensive!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 18
No idea about sound, but these are tiny
Rose-Mini2-MKII-2.0-04_resize.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 18
So far I've been trying these. Thank you for the suggestion.
I fit them gently and instead of looping the cable over my ears as I would for normal use, I let the cable sit next to my ear.
My big surprise here is that despite being this style that would normally stay put firmly, I have been waking up in the morning with them out of my ears, and not being aware of anything. I will continue the trial.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 18
I think it's better to use TWS for this scenario because there is a risk to damage the cable while sleeping.
I should have put into my original requirements to be 100% radiation free. I put the phone into airplane and use wired IEMs only. Absolutely no way I'm going to use anything wireless all night long.
This is why they are consumables and need to be inexpensive as the wire will get damaged from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back