IEMs for quality bass
Mar 11, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 30
Another vote for the Atrio M5/M8. I was shocked when I first heard them. Best $140 I ever spent. I only used them with my Ipod and I am sure they will sound even better with an amp. I use the foamies and they fit great.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #19 of 30
Well...the Atrio M8s look like the ones I'll probably buy. They look comfortable, affordable & have great bass.

There’s still one thing I'd really like to know though...

If sound quality was the only factor, which would sound better overall? The RP-21s with a portable amp to increase the bass or the Atrio M8s? What would the difference in sound be?

If buying an amp would make the headphones I already own sound better then the "Atrio M8s", I'd be tempted to just go with the Ibasso amp. If there isn't a big difference in SQ though, the Atrio M8s look like they'd be perfect for what I'm looking for.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 30
ive never heard the rp21 so i cannot help you, but dear lord it is incredible. they have a drier sort of monitoring sound than do other iems. if you are interested in sound quality, there are so many different types of sound quality to talk about.

the atrio will let you hear very high pitched sounds but slightly rolled off while giving incredible bass resolution. the um2 and e500 i had had sweeter mids no doubt and both were a little faster in the bass but not as nice to listen to for me.

it comes down to your preferences. if you are in for the more nuetral monitoring approach, go for the atrio, but if you like a more sweet intimate sound, go for the um2 or e500 for instance. both of those and i am sure even lower in the chain like im716 have better instrument separation that some people consider as soundstage but the atrio have a wonderful soundstage for iem. naturally if you are used to headphones then they will feel congested to you but for their application, amazing sounding in many areas.

it is up to you, all of the choices here mentioned are good choices. the um2 may be the best comfort as their body are smallest when put into the ear. cheers

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #21 of 30
I also think the atrios are what you will like. I have a few iems and it is along with the denon c700 my favorite. but it's bass is just a bit better then the denon as far as texture. it just has a gorgeous bass to be sure
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #23 of 30
To me an RP21 sounded better than the Atrio M5, unamped or amped (with my Headfive). IMO expect a slight downgrade.

You got more compressed soundstage with the M5, and I think RP21 has slightly less recessed mids, slightly better instrument separation and detail.
I like RP21 bass quite a bit better too. It hits harder and has a fuller feel than the M5 bass, although the M5 bass is good themselves (deep and textured).

Where I like the M5 better is its superior isolation and an overall smoother and less analytical sound (because of the treble roll-off).

If you're looking for an upgrade in SQ probably save up for highly regarded closed headphones like a HD-25 or HFI780?

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 30
Well,

I own a pair of Atrio M8's and truly LOVE them.

The sound is right on IMHO. Nice highs (not too harsh or fatigueing) and the bass is soo deep yet well defined and never overpowered.

Even right out of my iPods (6G & Touch) they sound awsome! And they are mindblowing when hooked up to my MZ-RH1 or Go-Vibe!!!

The thing I like the most with the Atrio's is that they never get boring. All IEM's and headphones I've owned got boring after some time.

The Atrio's are mindblowing every single time I use them!

Try them, you won't be disappointed!

Greetz

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 30
Mar 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #26 of 30
The bass on the Denon C700s is absolutely astounding. Incredibly deep and powerful. It gives most full sized cans a run for their money, and I'm not just saying this because they're canalphones. They can really shake your head, and after burn-in, sound very tight as well.

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 30
i have also owned the denon c700 and find them to have bass quantity but it booms where as the atrio will have resolution and texture. both are great phones and i think they presend music more naturally or more speaker like than do iems of armature type but... the denon are strong in speed and left to right soundstage whereas they atrio cannot be touched by the denon for bass image.

it is like comparing an slr digital to a digicam for resolution. both are good and produce nice images, but if you want to have image sharpness, the only reason the digicam is better is power for the money.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #28 of 30
I've owned my atrios for about 2 months now and i love them. The bass is really deep and defined. The atrios are very smooth sounding IEM's. You won't be disappointed with any of these IEM's. One thing though. If you do get the atrios, make sure you burn them in a good 40+ hours before you judge them.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #29 of 30
Definitely stay away from the Super.fi 5. If you found the Zune phones to be uncomfortable then the Super.fi's will be even worse.

The Atrio M5 and Denon C700 are definitely your best contenders in your price range. I think Shigzeo summed it up pretty well in the bass description. The rest of spectrum is quite different also. the Denon has brighter more detailed highs and a more forward vocal presentation. Check out the comparisons between the two in the http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/ thread.

I would suggest the Denon C700 too:

Denon AH-C700

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 30
Not really a solution to your post but for fun. Try the HeadBangers Ear Subs. You want thump they will blow your ears off and they go for about $15 if you can find them.
Cheap, bad build quality, and sound like crap. But I will never forget the day I was at the Sony Store to buy the MDR-EX90s and the store clerk asked to see my ear subs and said that the EX90s had no were near that much bass with eyes wide opened. I knew that I told him thats why I was shopping for EX90s. I had the UE Super.fi 5 EBs. Let me tell you no comparison to the overwhelming bass. Bit of a gimmick but still fun!!! BOOM BABY!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back