IEMs for quality bass
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MentalEclipse

Head-Fier
Thanks to the reviews on this website, I'm currently enjoying my RP-21s for home listening and studio work. I really like the neutral sound of the RP-21s when mixing and producing, but I've found that increasing the bass is essential when listening to music. I recently got a "Zune 80" and have found that the RP-21s just don't put out as much bass as I like for normal listening. They almost sound too nuetral to me when listening to music without EQ enhancements.

At first I thought about buying a portable amp for enhancing the bass level, but I'm now considering a pair of headphones to use exclusively with the Zune. I'm thinking about buying some IEMs, but not really sure what IEMs will make the Zune sound more lively and bassy. I'm looking to spend around $100 though I'm willing to spend more if the quality is worth it ($100-$200).

The problem with IEMs for me, is that I have fairly small ears. The IEMs that came with my Zune are "really" uncomfortable to me and costantly fall out of my ears. I'm thinking that I may not be able to use IEMs at all if they are all similar to this fit.

Does anyone know of any IEMs that pack the sound I'm looking for with a decent fit for someone with small ears? I've been looking at the "Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro" & "Super Fi 5 EB", but I’m not sure how they compare to others in that price range. I'd really appreciate your help.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 30
the pros are ok, the bass on the EB is strong but lacks dept from what i hear, must be becuase ultimate ears usualy only works with armature, and the tuning on the dynamic driver they used there isnt exactly good,

for good deep bass, theres the Crossroads XBi, the Atrio M5 and the SE530 from shure, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you love your bass,

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 30
The 5 pros are great and had plenty of bass for me. Depending on how much you want you could try the EB's. Those might have way too much bass though. I believe the EB's are about the bassiest earphones on the planet. The 5 pros on the other hand are nicely balanced and punchy sounding.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 30
in my ears the bass of the eb's is better than the DT770(unamped)
and as far as i know the dt770 is the king of bass
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for good deep bass, theres the Crossroads XBi, the Atrio M5 and the SE530 from shure, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you love your bass,

The XBi's look like they may be too large for my ears and the Atrio M5 and SE530 are a bit out of my price range. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5 pros are great and had plenty of bass for me. Depending on how much you want you could try the EB's. Those might have way too much bass though. I believe the EB's are about the bassiest earphones on the planet. The 5 pros on the other hand are nicely balanced and punchy sounding.

How is the fit of the 5 pros? They look small online, but I'm not sure about the fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my ears the bass of the eb's is better than the DT770(unamped)
and as far as i know the dt770 is the king of bass

I listen to a lot of different styles of music so I'm afraid IEMs with "that much" bass could possibly hurt the sound of some music (like classical & Jazz). I'd love to hear that bass on some DN'B or Dubstep, but I'm thinking an amp may give me the best of both worlds.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the fit of the 5 pros? They look small online, but I'm not sure about the fit.

Personal experience:

I loved the sound of the sf5pro and they certainly have enough bass. However, I found them uncomfortable for long periods even after the flip mod. The silicon tips were hard to keep in my ears. (I have small ears also.) I tried the foam tips and they were better but still uncomfortable.

The UM2's have excellent bass plus they fit like a glove. However, that may be more than you want to spend.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 30
My vote, having used and dispensed of the super.fi 5 Pro (for reasons of both sound and comfort), is to go for the Future Sonics Atrio m5/m8.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had a pair of the EB's and they really aren't as bassy as everyone makes out. I was expecting mad levels of Bass but to my basshead ears there wasn't anything that I hadn't heard before.

Sony EX90 are very good for the price, seems like your on a tight budget
redface.gif

They have about as much bass as you'll get from an IEM. the Atrio's are pretty good to.

Cheers,
MiG

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 30
of those I've listened to, (Sf5 pro, atrio m5, sony ex71, shure e2c, se210, se420, se530), I like the shure se420 the best.

imho, the best quality bass without it being overpowering.

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 30
I have the UE Pro 5 and the Atrio M5 and both have great bass, but more realistic on the Atrio M5 for all types of music IMHO. Burn-in with Pink noise and your all set. I lost 2 pairs of Atrio and recently bought another pair. Love em!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 30
i have not heard the ue pro 5 so i don't know. but i came from e500 and um2 world, sold after getting my atrio m5. they are a drier flavour, less coloured but their bass is to die for. it is very textured and layered and deep. best bass i have heard from an iem or canalphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back