IEM's for Prog Rock/Metal
Apr 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

[S]uds

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've found finally found a pair of cans that I simply love for my Prog Rock/Metal(Grado SR225), and now I am searching for a pair of IEM's. These will be run straight out of an iPod. Price range is about $150, but the cheaper the better. I'm currently using a set of Shure E2C, so I am hoping for a nice jump in SQ.

I was thinking about a pair of Shure E4C's, but I am looking for your opinion.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 27
I never heard anything from Grado, but Super.fi 5 Pro excel at Rock, $25 over your budget but definitely worth it.

Also checkout SF5EB, they have great (overpowering?) bass if you are a bass head. Even though I do not have personal experience with it.

I heard SE110 (new version of E2), now I own SF5P, a huge step up from SE110. Bass is galaxy better than SE110. Also UE IEMs are highly modable.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 27
Would a RE2 IEM work well for my needs and sound better than my Shure E2C? Or how about an IM716 with the pod removed, I heard they sound about the same? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 27
I'm also a super.fi 5 pro user and listen to lots of prog rock and metal. I would second these for what you're looking for.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 27
I think I'm going to just grab the RE2's. For some reason, I can't bring myself to carry around $180 IEM's and an iPod. I'd always worry they would be lost/stolen or I'd break them for being careless.

As long as the RE2(or D-Jays) sound better and are more comfortable than my E2C's, I'm fine with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to just grab the RE2's. For some reason, I can't bring myself to carry around $180 IEM's and an iPod. I'd always worry they would be lost/stolen or I'd break them for being careless.

As long as the RE2(or D-Jays) sound better and are more comfortable than my E2C's, I'm fine with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

You obviously haven't heard the SF5 Pro then..
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that your opinions will change a lot if you try the different IEMs out first.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 27
Are they durable enough that I can just wrap them around my iPod and stick them in my pocket? That is one thing I am worried about, the wear and tear on them. I will be using them everyday, and I normally just stick my iPod + IEMs in my pocket.

Edit: And do they have to be wrapped around the ear? I can't stand that design.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 27
You'll be fine with wrapping them, but any tight wrapping will really put stress on any cable. They are very durable though, and their cable is detachable/replaceable so you won't have to go out and buy a whole new set of IEMs if the cable breaks.

They are designed to be work over the ear (they have memor wire by the drivers), so if you don't like that design then I guess they're a no-go for you.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back