IEM's For Keeps! No ifs, ands, or buts!
Dec 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:
And what are those differences, please?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think moving armatures in general share a common signature, with the only noteworthy differences accounted for by the housing, more or less. Granted, there are always a few exceptions. In fact, the GR10 and e-Q5 sound so similar, during my listening, I wore the Orto's in one ear, and the Grado's in the other ear. Even then, the differences were so subtle, it ALMOST sounded as though I was listening to one and the same earphone. However, there are of course (very) subtle differences between the two. Detail and overall transparency is nearly identical, and is nothing short of exceptional, but the GR10 sounds a hair or two more open and airier in presentation. However, I should mention that even then, the subtle changes are only appreciable when one carefully and attentively listens FOR them, rather than the subtleties presenting themselves. I'd also say the GR10 is a tad smoother sounding overall (again, by just a hair or two), while details stick out every so slightly more upfront with the e-Q5. It's of course outside of sound where the two differ most. For one, I prefer the GR10's cable, as well as overall fit and comfort, as it doesn't tend to stick out when worn, unlike the e-Q5. Even during night time listening, with the GR10's, I can comfortably rest my head on it's side, while unable to do so with the Orto's for obvious reasons. The GR10's brought a smile onto my face the instant I wore them, as did the e-Q5 upon first listen. Given their sonic similarities, I can see just why. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #47 of 71
hmmm...been into many iems.
and all of them have their own weaknesses.
from fx700 (a bit lacking in mids, due to its open desing)
sm3 (lacking the sparkling highs for a lively rock and pop)
ortofon eq7 (well, for me this one has the potential to stay, but sold it too)
vortex (well, this one is nice, and cheap)
ue700 (a bit missing some details, or very different in retrieving the details)

well, things for sure, i kept what i really needed:
mx980, detailed than most of my iems. good for movies, non fatiguing, use when sleeping.
cc51, close to the fx700s sig, but cheaper.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #48 of 71
My Merlins are my all-round favourite and for the foreseeable future have cured the upgrade bug - assuming nobody comes up with a dual dynamic + 6xBA ultra hybrid monstrosity anytime soon. I like to use my W4 for gym and sometimes sleeping since they isolate so well and have a flat profile for lying on my side. The others get an occasional run but those 2 make up about 95% of my listening.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #49 of 71
I haven't yet found any IEMs that would be keepers. On one hand, I rarely sell my stuff. On the other, it would be shame to just let my RE-262's just lie there unused.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #50 of 71
Currently, my W4 and EX1000. Poor SRH840... been completely dethroned by EX1000 as my home-rig.

And W4 for my on-the-go. I would cry the day my W4 is dead -- or well, would cry if I don't get anything new that replaces the W4 before then!

For novelty, I cherish my DBA-02 like insane too. There is something about the DBA-02's signature that really clicks with me.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 71
At the moment are B2, TF10, and Silver Bullet.

I'd like to listen to my W3 more, but unless amped, I can't seem to like its signature, though if amped (even with Fiio E3), it rocks!!

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #52 of 71
The GR10 seems to have undoubtedly replaced my Ortofon e-Q5, considering the GR10 is much less obtrusive when worn, and doesn't stray much at all from the sound I've come to love and admire from the e-Q5. I really can't put into words the level of enjoyment the GR10 brings me. I've found myself rediscovering my music all over again, but not because of any missing details I hadn't picked up on before, but simply because the instant they're in, I'm not the least bit inclined to reach for any other in-ear, and it's as though I forget all my other in-ears exist. With the exception of the EX1000, no other earphone has had that effect on me, to the same extent. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #53 of 71
I can never understand how could the EX1000 not be one of your all time favorites... :wink:

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 71
Sold the previous one off to fund the next purchase, but if possible, it will be the UM3x besides the 11964-Q that I have now. But now getting other universals for trying out, such as TF10 and IE8 while the customs will serve as my benchmark.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #58 of 71
TF10 for me because the "V" shaped sound sig is perfect for electronic music and I've never heard a more fun sounding IEM.  For a more neutral sound I still go for my HF5's cuz thoughs are detailed like no other with great isolation.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #59 of 71
[size=10pt]I have owned Etymotic ER6, ER6i, ER4s, Klipsch S4, UE TF-10's and now have re-shelled the TF-10's for use as portables.  All I listen to now is the re-shelled TF-10.  After reading the thread I am just going to have to wait until I decide to afford the UM Merlin; from what I have read that appears to be what I am missing for a portable IEM system (even more bass, vented so I can hear what is going on in the lab while wearing them).  Please note that I am using the TF-10 with an amp and a dock out of the iPod.  Without the amp and dock I would not make the recommendation.  [I use the Hotaudio DV-1 because it has a balance control.  My hearing is a bit off to one side and recordings do leave something to be desired.  Correcting for balance is more important to me than getting a DAC at this point in time.][/size]

[size=10pt]For home use IEM's I use the STAX SR-003 with custom ear molds from Starkey.  For those of you who believe that the SR-003 is not that good or uncomfortable, I felt the same way until I got the custom ear molds.  It was a completely new experience and I was unprepared for the improvement both sonically and comfort wise.  I listen to them at home when it is time to relax and listen to music.[/size]

[size=10pt]For home full size I use STAX SR-404's.  I wish I could use them more but they leak (bipolar radiators) and the with the family in the living room they make too many comments.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back