IEM's for high wax buildup ears?
Nov 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

electronicmaji

100+ Head-Fier
I am going through IEMS like a madman, built in filters are difficult to clean once clogged, replaceable filters are a bit too expensive.

I have thought that possible the real solution is to go with something over ear for portable use, but I'm just not willing to give up sound quality.

What is the absolute handsdown best phone for people who clog filters easily, have great amounts of ear wax buildup?

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 8
beta Brainwaz, Etymotic ER6i and ADDIEM all have easily removable filter. You can clean the filter with pharmacy grade peroxide solution and rinse with water, let dry and put them back on again.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 8
just hold the filter's nozzle's edge by two fingers, remove it from the nozzle with a slight pull. Not difficult or damaging at all.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 8
I think you can get Comply foams with built-in ear wax filters for many different IEMs.

Just checked, and Comply apparently doesn't do ER6i, though ER6s are not a problem.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 8
The T100x will fit, with a wax guard to boot.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 8
I've had luck reusing/cleaning q-jay filters. After three or four cleanings they lose their stick and you have to use a new pair.

Also, and forgive the unsolicited advice, but maybe you need to clean your ears. I too thought I had waxy ears. I needed to regularly go have them blown out at the clinic because wax buildup would plug them. But after monthly cleanings with some over-the-counter cleaners I no longer have problems.

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I had a problem with wax clogging my ER6's filters fairly often... so I just left them out and stopped bothering. They still sound fine to me :p

I leave the IEMs in weak Hydrogen Peroxide overnight to clean them. It melted the glue holding the plastic sleeve on but the form of the sleeve kept it in place anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back