IEMs for gym and travel (upgrade from Shure E2C)
Oct 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SobriquetLA

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I'm spending a lot of time in the gym these days and want to upgrade my IEMs.  I own Grado SR-80, Shure E2C, and UE Super.fi 3's.  I'm hoping to spend $200 or less, but I'll go higher if there's a compelling reason to do so.

They will be used with an iPhone 3GS with no amplification and mostly high-quality AAC files (only my favorite albums are stored in Apple Lossless).  Considering I'll be using them in the gym, the option of getting custom ear molds made would be a massive plus which is why I as considering the Etymotic HF3's.  The problem is that I'm hearing they have a lot of cord noise and are light on the bass.

As far as musical preferences, I listen to almost everything, but in the gym it'll be a lot of downtempo/trip-hop (like Portishead, Cinephile) and dance/electronic (Late Night Alumni, Above & Beyond, etc).  While traveling, I'd listen to a lot of singer-songwriter/folk stuff like Laura Marling, Iron & Wine.

Can you guys help me out?  I love the sound from my Grado SR-80s, but I do want something with more bottom end than they provide, but not at the expense of ruining everything else.  Would the Etymotic HF3's be a mistake?  Thanks!

[Edit:] Does anyone have a headphone.com graph for the Shure E2C?  I haven't been able to find one and I'd like to be able to compare what I know and have to these other models.  Thanks, again.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Bump. 

Some help would be greatly appreciated, guys.  I keep coming back to the Etymotic HF3.  Would these be a mistake for gym use with an un-amped iPhone?  How will they compare with the Shure E2c I'm used to?

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 11
I was planning on getting custom tips made by ACS for the Etymotics, but for the same money, I could get into a pair of Shure SE425s.  Can someone please help me understand the difference between what the Etys would sound like and the Shure SE425s?  I'm interested in the dual drivers for that extra bass without ruining everything else.

I'm also concerned about the impedance of the Shure SE425s - it's much higher than the Etymotic HF3.  Would I still be able to run them directly from an iPhone without an amp?  Take pity on a newbie, guys. lol

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm spending a lot of time in the gym these days and want to upgrade my IEMs.

Do you plan on sweating?  Sounds like a dumb question but IEM's, unless a sports model, aren't big on sweat.

This is what I have for when I feel like getting a rock-n-rolling, runner's type sweat going: PMX-80.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Do you plan on sweating?  Sounds like a dumb question but IEM's, unless a sports model, aren't big on sweat.

This is what I have for when I feel like getting a rock-n-rolling, runner's type sweat going: PMX-80.

Obviously, I do sweat while in the gym.  I cross-train (one weight lifting exercise into another) and use the treadmill.  Because of the noise, I don't want to get earbuds that won't isolate.  I was also hoping to get a pair that will double as upgraded travel headphones.  From your comment, it sounds like spending $300 on SE425s to use in the gym would be a mistake.

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 11

it sounds like spending $300 on SE425s to use in the gym would be a mistake.

That is certainly not what i'd do, using any earphones in the gym always seems to shorten their life, however well they're built. I use these in the gym, they are the best gym iem's i've used and I don't think i'd want to spend more for the purpose. Being fully waterproof may sound OTT but it comes in very useful. They are well built and I haven't needed the customer service department yet although i'm only 6 months down the line. They sound pretty good inspite of being advertised as waterproof rather than good earphones, i was very sceptical at first. They are a bit of a bassier sound that the sf.3 and e2c although in the gym I don't find that a bad thing, the highs suffer a bit at times if you're an ety fan but nothing major.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 11
If I might add to the above.  When your doing aerobics and your heart rate is at ninty-five percent of max, I submit that nobody is worried about ear buds and sound quality.

To me, the music is just there to drown out the tedium of the run and help keep the pace up as it's about the workout, not the sound quality.  And when you're on the bench, you're worried about the burn, not sound quality.  My opinion, if you have the ability, during a workout, to worry about sound quality, you're not working out.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
If I might add to the above.  When your doing aerobics and your heart rate is at ninty-five percent of max, I submit that nobody is worried about ear buds and sound quality.

To me, the music is just there to drown out the tedium of the run and help keep the pace up as it's about the workout, not the sound quality.  And when you're on the bench, you're worried about the burn, not sound quality.  My opinion, if you have the ability, during a workout, to worry about sound quality, you're not working out.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, good points, I bought my present gym phones for sitting in a rescue boat during the summer, before that I was perfectly happy with M9's at $20. All you really need from gym phones is reasonable isolation and sound that is a slight advance from a square wave.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 11
How about some Melectronics M6 or M11+. Both have a secure fit and isolate well. The M6 has a memory wire and stay in place. The M11+'s are very small and the isolation is very good. They can also be had with an iPhone compatable microphone. They are on sale on their website.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm currently using Sennheiser CX280s when i run - they fit really well (using comply tips) and they have good bass which is basically what i need. Just 'big' sounding. I previously used my Klipsch X10s for running but this was a bit of overkill. I was worried about the damage they might incur due to sweat etc.

I'd definitely recommend the Senn's - they cost me £30 - you could probably get them between $40-50 USD. And they have an in line volume slider too.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 11
I ordered a pair of the Etymotic HF3s.  We'll see how they do.  They're not "beaters" by any means, but if they break in a year or two, it won't be a total tragedy and there's a warranty.  I'll save the money I didn't spend on the more expensive Shures for a headphone amp and a pair of full-size headphones for the house down the line.

I wanted a set that still sounded good so I can use them for travel and running around town.  The in-line mic and Apple controls will allow me to finally (cringe) retire those horrible Apple earbuds.  I'll report back on how the HF3s do.  From the graph from HeadRoom, they've got more bass than the Grado SR-80s I have in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back