IEMs for death metal - understanding sound curves.
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oh my goose

New Head-Fier
I know it's not your problem, but help me out a little. I'm driving myself crazy trying to find good IEMs for death metal. Here's the quick version:

I bought the blon bl03 and I love them, however they seem to sound "cramped" to my ears when I play some death metal. Some of it sounds fabulous. Some of it sounds muddy and meh. This is not good enough. Death metal is extremely special to me and I need to be able to properly enjoy it.

My current cans are the audio technica MSR7b - i love them. I adore them. Only thing is, I wish they had just a hair more impact with the bass drum. This is my dilemma; I love the blon's bass, but I feel that it might be the case that they have too much bass for death metal, or maybe it's that their bass is a little muddy for down-tuned guitars and basses. I'm not a basshead, I don't think. But I really, really love and absolutely have to have, a bass response that makes the drums sound really percussive and with a lot of impact. I want to feel the kick drum. When there's a fill, I need to hear that the drummer is nailing those toms dead-on. In reading headphone reviews, I realized I don't fully understand where to look on the sound curve to help determine if the drumming will have that percussive punch that I crave. I don't really need an explanation from anyone, but a link might be helpful, unless you feel like explaining.

So anyway, I'm looking to upgrade my blons specifically for death metal. I thought since the clarity and well-controlled bass of the MSR7b was so strongly to my liking, that I'd look for IEMs with a similar sound. I've come up with two possible IEMs that I like, but I really need to know if they are going to have the clarity, detail, and well-controlled punchy bass I'm looking for:

SIMGOT en700 pro
Tin T4.

Would either of these give me that? Or would you recommend something else. Let's say I have no official budget, but want to keep it under 200. I know I've written a lot, but this is really very important to me. Please help me out with some advice.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd say you probably want a DD / BA hybrid. DD for the low end slam, BA for the mids and highs so they don't get "smeared". Are you willing to buy used?

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 10
I would suggest to spend some time testing frequencies with an EQ on the gear you have, and try to find out which area does what. Even if you somehow can't be satisfied with that, at least it could help you get a better understanding of your own desire and make finding the right gear easier.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I would suggest to spend some time testing frequencies with an EQ on the gear you have, and try to find out which area does what. Even if you somehow can't be satisfied with that, at least it could help you get a better understanding of your own desire and make finding the right gear easier.
The problem is I am using a very rudimentary set up. I don't have any amps or anything like that. I want to get into that stuff, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I primarily (read: exclusively) listen to music with my apple music subscription on my samsung galaxy s20+, and my chromebook. There is an eq option in the apple music app, so I can play with that I suppose.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Look for a test tone generator program (or just listen to a few of the "headphone test" videos with frequency sweeps in them on YouTube).

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 10
I know it's not your problem, but help me out a little. I'm driving myself crazy trying to find good IEMs for death metal. Here's the quick version:

I bought the blon bl03 and I love them, however they seem to sound "cramped" to my ears when I play some death metal. Some of it sounds fabulous. Some of it sounds muddy and meh. This is not good enough. Death metal is extremely special to me and I need to be able to properly enjoy it.

My current cans are the audio technica MSR7b - i love them. I adore them. Only thing is, I wish they had just a hair more impact with the bass drum. This is my dilemma; I love the blon's bass, but I feel that it might be the case that they have too much bass for death metal, or maybe it's that their bass is a little muddy for down-tuned guitars and basses. I'm not a basshead, I don't think. But I really, really love and absolutely have to have, a bass response that makes the drums sound really percussive and with a lot of impact. I want to feel the kick drum. When there's a fill, I need to hear that the drummer is nailing those toms dead-on. In reading headphone reviews, I realized I don't fully understand where to look on the sound curve to help determine if the drumming will have that percussive punch that I crave. I don't really need an explanation from anyone, but a link might be helpful, unless you feel like explaining.

So anyway, I'm looking to upgrade my blons specifically for death metal. I thought since the clarity and well-controlled bass of the MSR7b was so strongly to my liking, that I'd look for IEMs with a similar sound. I've come up with two possible IEMs that I like, but I really need to know if they are going to have the clarity, detail, and well-controlled punchy bass I'm looking for:

SIMGOT en700 pro
Tin T4.

Would either of these give me that? Or would you recommend something else. Let's say I have no official budget, but want to keep it under 200. I know I've written a lot, but this is really very important to me. Please help me out with some advice.
Can you give some examples of the music you are listening too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back