IEMs for Classical
Apr 3, 2007 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

justin2net

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Shure e3c and a Zen Vision M (no compression, WAVs) and after using them for a few months, I've noticed that the soundstage is really artificial and the bass is empty. Generally, the sound is just thin and has no personality. I'm looking for something that is more flat and gives off more of what the recording is supposed to. Now I know that I'm venturing into a more expensive category, those including:

Shure e4c
ER-4S
ER-4P
Shure e500

Which one out of those 4? Or others?
I've done some searching here but I keep on getting mixed opinions. The problem is I won't have a chance to test them out, I'll have to order online. Also, would an amp help? Because more and more I'm listening at home rather than out, so its possible that I could buy an amp to help out. Any opinions as to what I should get, portable rig, source is ZVM.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 20
grab the e5 if u can afford it. I have the e4 and i do love it tho =p. I managed to grab some bass off it with a sealed canal

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 20
for your criteria, definitely er-4s. zvm can drive them loud enough and the synergy's pretty good. er-4s is very revealing and a good choice for classical. can't say much about the soundstage or "personality" of the sound though. it's just super fast and balanced. zvm's bass is rolled off and a tad muddy. i found great improvement using an amp.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 20
The E3s are just a bit small, how does it compare to the er4? I know that you can get comply tips for them, I just use the yellow foam tips for the e3s.

What amp may I ask?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Shure e3c and a Zen Vision M (no compression, WAVs) and after using them for a few months, I've noticed that the soundstage is really artificial and the bass is empty. Generally, the sound is just thin and has no personality. I'm looking for something that is more flat and gives off more of what the recording is supposed to. Now I know that I'm venturing into a more expensive category, those including:

Shure e4c
ER-4S
ER-4P
Shure e500

Which one out of those 4? Or others?
I've done some searching here but I keep on getting mixed opinions. The problem is I won't have a chance to test them out, I'll have to order online. Also, would an amp help? Because more and more I'm listening at home rather than out, so its possible that I could buy an amp to help out. Any opinions as to what I should get, portable rig, source is ZVM.

My Shure E500s compliment my E500s very well, the only thing I dislike is the short cable, but I plan on having them recabled in a little while anyway.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 20
Whats the difference between the sound of a ER4P non-amped versus a ER4S amped? And what amp?
Sorry, I'm just indulged in the "pictures of your portable setup" thread
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 20
For classical, it has to be the ER4S. There's no point in even making a comparison. The rest will be far too dark to properly convey the air and energy of an orchestra, particularly the string instruments.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 20
I've tried the E4C, E500 and the ER-4P and found the E500 to be the most fun to listen to. They may not be the sound most true to the recording, but they sure have a whole lot of fun factor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 20
Ok, ER4S it is. I feel so bad after being offered to buy a ER4s when i bought the e3cs. Oh well. I know its time.

What amp might you suggest? People seem to have Cardas over @ the Portable section. Im looking for something under the 200 range (of course IEMs excluded).

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, ER4S it is. I feel so bad after being offered to buy a ER4s when i bought the e3cs. Oh well. I know its time.

What amp might you suggest? People seem to have Cardas over @ the Portable section. Im looking for something under the 200 range (of course IEMs excluded).

Cardas?

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-4s would be your best choice, but you would need an amp. If you don't plan on getting an amp, then its the ER-4p.

x2

I listen to classical on the ER-4P and it is perfectly suited for it. What I would do is get the ER-4P and either buy the P > S adapter or DIY. That way if you don't feel like bringing an amp along one day, you don't need to.

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 20
i really don't think u need a p-s cable - just get the s. zvm drives them borderline loud-enough-u-dont-wanna-crankemup-anymore-orelse-damage-ur-hearing.

ampwise, i'm using a supermicro iv. i find the synergy with both zvm and er-4s is brilliant and the price is good not to mention it's tiiiiiny! only thing is wait time, but xin's been getting faster apparently. other people have said good things about the tomahawk, both sound quality and build quality.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shure E500s compliment my E500s very well, the only thing I dislike is the short cable, but I plan on having them recabled in a little while anyway.

That sentence does not make sense!

---

Mmm... if you're complaining that the E3C's have no bass, you're probably not going to like the ER4S. Though I don't really know why you would need a lot of bass for classical.

I know you said IEM's for classical, but I'm used to K-1000 sound with classical music and in comparison to that, the ER4S is lifeless and boring.

ER4S may be the absolute best armature driver for classical, but they do have a roll off at about 14-15khz (yes, I know they all claim to be able to reach 16khz but IMO the roll off starts at about 14).

I've been listening to a lot of Vanessa Mae recently and you would definitely definitely need an amp for the ER4S. They have a damn low sensitivity and a very high impedance for IEM's.

In short - they will crap all over your E3C's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back