IEMs for a rap loving college student
Apr 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jessah13

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've tried to research all the different possibilities on my own, but there is just way too much information for me to absorb without some guidance. My budget is $200, but the cheaper the better. I will mainly be listening to the music through my laptop or my iPod.

I almost exclusively listen to rap, and I am a fan of bass, but I don't want it to be overpowering. I also listen to the occasional alternative or punk song, but that is definitely not the focus.

Since I will be living in a dorm, my primary concern is sound isolation. Comfort is the next most important issue as I think I will be wearing these quite often and for long periods of time.

I also care about sound quality, but I don't need the best and will settle for something not as great if the sound isolation and comfort are great.

I won't be using these during physical activity, so sweat and stuff is not an issue.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 20
The turbines are the perfect price, and i have heard great things about the sound quality but I haven't heard much about the amount of isolation and comfort seems to be an issue.

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 20
For $200, you can probably grab a used pair of SE530 which are basically the king for rap and hip hop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 20
Macmall - Monster Turbines $104 - More legit.

+1 to the monster Turbine Vote.

Plus, MacMall applies for the Live cashback.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 20
I own the Klipsch Image X10s and they have fantastic bass response. The retail price ($350) is far out of your range, but I'm sure you could find them much more cheaply somewhere on the net or on eBay. Also, while I've not tried them out yet, my understanding is that the Monster Turbines and Beats by Dre also have great bass. I haven't read anything about the comfort or isolation, however, and would be curious to know. Thinking about picking up a pair for myself (I like to have a pair at home and a pair at work without having to cart them back and forth).

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Newegg has the IE6's for 130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back