IEMS for ~$250
Aug 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Woobies

Head-Fier
Hello all.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs mainly for travel/airplane/commute use. I currently have a pair of Grado SR225s which I like but not love because they're clear and I like how I can hear the cymbal work really well on metal albums and such, but what I don't like is the bass on the Grados.

What IEMs would be best for this price and have a punchy bass? Mind you, not an overwhelming muddled bass, but a tight, fast, and deep bass.

I was thinking of either the Shure SE310s or the Shure SE420s or the Etymotic ER-4P.

I will primarily be using these with my iPod/Laptop. I listen to mostly everything but I love listening to metal/electro/trance.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 23
I think that's a fine selection you've got there.

But if you're looking for complete comfort with respect to lightness, the ER4p's should feel like you're not wearing anything at all. Especially if you're using it for travelling.

I've read that Shure's have a build issue in terms of ruggedness. But then again the Ety's are pretty frail too.

(16 more posts to go)

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 23
Get a deal on the se530s like I did
biggrin.gif

$247 shipped. That's just inside your budget.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 23
uhh... care to share you're "inside" source for that great price?!!?

(lost count.. need to check post count again.. low teens now, I think)

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Not an inside source. I bought them with 3 months of use on them in perfect condition and all the packaging. The only downside was I didn't get the thrill of opening them up. Otherwise perfect.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a deal on the se530s like I did
biggrin.gif

$247 shipped. That's just inside your budget.

And how might one acquire said deal?
biggrin.gif

But really, which one should I get? Just play it dumb and buy the most expensive one I can afford?

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 23
Not even one suggestion for the Sleek SA6? Okay, that's my suggestion. You won't do better for under $250. Or maybe the Klipsch X5, which is $199 or X10, which is $249. I really love the Sleeks, but others prefer the Klipsch.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all.

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs mainly for travel/airplane/commute use. I currently have a pair of Grado SR225s which I like but not love because they're clear and I like how I can hear the cymbal work really well on metal albums and such, but what I don't like is the bass on the Grados.

What IEMs would be best for this price and have a punchy bass? Mind you, not an overwhelming muddled bass, but a tight, fast, and deep bass.

I was thinking of either the Shure SE310s or the Shure SE420s or the Etymotic ER-4P.

I will primarily be using these with my iPod/Laptop. I listen to mostly everything but I love listening to metal/electro/trance.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Westone UM2 without a doubt. It is the most efficient, is an exceptionally clear presentation and has significantly more bass than any of these you mention above. Oh, and they are THE MOST comfortable IEM ever made to date.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 23
Man I feel so confused now. After doing some more research, I've realized that there are so many more manufactures out there that I didn't know about.

But I'm now seriously considering the Sleek Audio SA6.

But with Shure SE310s, Klipsch x10, q-Jays, Westone, and ER4Ps

I have no idea what I should do.

I guess the best question to ask now is what IEM plays nice with metal/trance and have a punchy tight bass?

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 23
Woobies, you don't think it would be worth it to shop around and get an se530 for $250? You can do it if you put a bit of time in.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 23
sambo60.

But what about the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro? They are around the same price. Seems like there are more positive reviews for the UEs than the Shures.

But my main concern about buying used is the wear and tear that IEMs are susceptible to. From my limited understanding, IEMs are more delicated than full sized cans. Right?

And also, I'll be in LA in a few weeks and I was wondering if you know of any good audiophile places where I could hopefully audition some phones. (both IEM and full sized).

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 23
Yes IEM are more susceptible to wear. In my case, they were only used for 3 months in a monitor system, so they weren't being carried all over the place. I don't know about the triple fis though. Sorry.

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 23
Yes, Sleek's work without an amp, they sound amazing. Use the bass + port and stick a staple through the little hole to clear it up and the bass is amazing. It's punchy, tight, clear and you can feel it on some songs. I love them and run them unamped through my Cowon D2. Oh, and they work wonderful with metal music (take it from a serious metalhead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back