IEMs/canalphones, $60-~$100... RE2, c551, etc
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

moonblade

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I posted earlier asking for advice on earphones and got some great feedback... now that I have successfully changed out the battery in my aging H320 without turning it into an expensive paperweight, I'm ready to take the plunge.

I'm looking for phones that are relatively isolating, can be worn while walking around, and don't need an amp... I mostly listen to classic rock and progressive rock as well as acoustic. Bass is nice, but I think (given that I have never owned a decent pair of phones) that I want something with a fairly balanced sound signature.

I've narrowed (and that term is used very loosely) my search down to phones that can be found in ~$60 and ~$100 price buckets:

- Denon C551 ($60 - leader in this range)
- Yuin OK3 ($60 - good sound, but concerned about leakage)
- UE Super.fi 3 ($70)

- Head-Direct RE2 ($100 - leader for this range)
- Denon C751 ($100)
- Westone UM1 ($110 - most people seem to prefer the RE2 to it)

I am currently leaning towards either the RE2s or the C551s.... thoughts? Comments? Is the RE2 (or one of the other ~$100) good enough to justify the extra $40?

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure about those, but I just bought my first set of good hi-fi IEM's. While I was looking (much for the same as you) I was recommended the Westome UM1's, but I saved a little more and went big and bought the Sleek Audio SA6, I have only had for a couple hours now, but I am very very satisfied with them, but they will run anywhere between $195 (from soundearphones.com) to $250. I have also heard good things about UE, Yuin and Head-Direct. Not sure if I helped you any, but I tried.

Aug 5, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 3
The RE2's have much better highs and (IMO) has more accurate bass reproduction but the c551's have better bass reproduction in terms of quantity than the RE2. Both the c551's and RE2's have accurate bass reproduction. The c751 for $100!? What..news to me...where?

If you want balanced, the c751's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back