IEM's Broken (SoundMagic PL50). Recommendations for something new?
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
So, my beloved SoundMagic PL50 are not working properly, and it's killing me not being able to fully enjoy my music.  One of the ears plays music much more quietly than it should (about 30% of the other one); I have no idea why this started happening, but I need music!

I loved, loved, loved these things.  I'm a fan of the sound on them, especially vocals.  The midrange sounds fantastic, and sometimes I'll start up a band with some male vocals and just be completely blown away.  The highs sound good too, and overall if I had to describe what I really like it's that everything about the sound feels smooth: I could listen to these all day and never get tired of it.  Interestingly enough I actually use grados on my computer (and enjoy them), but when I'm out and about I love my PL50's.

Now the only negative I do have is that the bass is a little light.  This isn't at all a deal breaker for me, and I love how it sounds, but there could definitely be a bit more (although honestly on a lot of songs I don't even notice it, and it might be part of why the mids stand out and sound so good).

I love how small these things are, how I almost can't even feel them in my ears.  I could go to sleep with PL50's on and it wouldn't even bother me.  My god it's amazing, and it's the reason I chose these in the first place.  I wouldn't die if I got some that were bigger, but I will say it's a huge plus about these for me. 

Oh, I also like to use the medium size (the tiny ones work too, but are a bit smal) sony hybrid tips on my PL50's.  They are comfortable and sound better to me, and fit my ears quite well.

So, any recommendations for me based on this post?  Sorry for rambling on, I was just trying to provide information. 

Price Range: up to $150.  I'd spend that much of the headphones were just super fantastic in every way and were going to blow my PL50's out of the water.  Not for something a tiny bit better, and I'll always take the budget option if it's good enough.  The PL50's are good enough, but since I'm ordering something new I'm open to other options.  Not to mention I don't want to wait months for shipping if possible.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Jan 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd rather not wait too long if possible, that's sort of one of the reasons I didn't want to just get another pair of PL50.  I also really wouldn't mind trying something new out, but I suppose I can probably find some interesting choices browsing around these forums some more.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I think something like an ET HF5 would be a nice progression. There's usually a pair in the for sale area for under $100. I thought I was getting a cheap pair from the last deal but my order was cancelled.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go do some research and read some reviews to see if those sound like something I would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back