IEMs and sound quality
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the E500's were quite nice, but the rolled off highs and slightly muddy sound sent me looking for something else, then I tried the ER-4P, these were more to my liking and sounded pretty sweet, but while the bass is indeed there it had me listening to hard to hear it. Off I went again and ended up with the Triple.fi 10 Pro. These sounded really sweet, but the design is horrible. More to my original point, every time I listened to these IEM's I thought to myself, these sound amazing and must be the equal of full sized cans, then I put on my DT-880's or HD-650's and it became clear. Full size can's are superior in every way save for portability and isolation.

i agree the e500's have a slightly rolled treble, but i would not characterize them as muddy at all. for me, the ue10pros are equal to the hd650 in many respects, and even superior in a few areas. considering the hd650's are one of my favorite cans, the fact that i find myself choosing to listen to the ue10pros over the hd650's at times (even when i'm at home) says something.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 25
Yup they will lose out on stage width and bass. It's a matter of fact. Some can have a surprising amount of bass, but it won't be the same. Same goes for stage width, they'll always sound cramped in comparison.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 25
Ok, seem to be clear that IEM's and full (and maybe "compact") size can's are different animals.
Infact, when i listen to CX300 i found a totally different kind of feeling relating to my headphones (Beyer DT880, PortaPro and PX100).
I simply can't listen to CX300, for me is a too fatiguing experience, this kind of reproduction is simply way far my ideal!
The problem is, are these the limits imposed by the cheapy origin of the transducer or is the IEM sound that i really do not like?
Unfortunately, i can't try a more expensive/refined device and for this reason, am not able to decide if try to buy or not...
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 25
You can get high-end sound from IEM. The drawback is that you have to pay much more to reach the sound quality level you would get with full-size headphones.

I have Sennheiser 650 and UE super.fi5 pros. They cost me almost the same (Sennheisers about 50 euro more), but I tell you the UE come close to the performance of the Sennheisers. Of course I do not have the kit to exploit the full potential of the Sennheisers, in that case they would be in different leagues!

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk4U /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, but what about the bass?
From what i have read, they do not seem to be great performers on this side!
Remember, i'm looking for a full body and "complete" representation, with bass capable to go down flat as my (old version) PX100...

I see many different views here so far and atleast one recommendation for the ER4S which would be better IF you were to use an amp which you stated you would not be doing.

Also as mentioned, you might prefer bloated, not-so-accurate bass which the ER4 will not offer. I've listened to a new version PX-100 and the ER4 bass is MUCH more accurate IMO.

As for comparing an IEM(in my case the ER4P & ER6) to full size, I feel that the ER4 can stand beside my DT-880, HD 650 & 325i as being a worthy monitor. Using my my main/home use gear which is a Pioneer player sending digital output to a Presonus Central Station using its DAC, the ER4 sounds very good and is every bit as detailed(if not more) and enjoyable as any of my big cans.Amps used here are the PreSonus, AE-2(my favorite), Porta Corda, Micro Amp & SuperMini IV.

I've found that my ety IEMs respond very well to the improved source(over my usual mediocre iPod line out).

Using my Aphex 204 processor(which provides special bass boost), the ER4P can become amazingly bassy while still maintaining much of its accuracy.

My bottom line is: The ER4 responds very well to a high quality source and (IMO) is an amazing monitor which I feel competes against my full size cans.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be rather hard to find a better sounding IEM than the Etymotic ER-4S. If you're concerned about having a "flat" bass response, then check out the =471]ER-4S frequency response graph. I've owned and used a lot of different headphones, and none of them, to my ears, sounds as good as these.

Have a look at Etymotic's own frequency response curve and you'll see what I hear from our ER-4Ss:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-ts.aspx

A very broad 11 dB peak at around 3 KHz is not pleasant. Compared to a Grado HP-1000 or a Sennheiser HD-580, in my opinion they're not in the same class.

But yes, it has a good bass response.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup they will lose out on stage width and bass. It's a matter of fact. Some can have a surprising amount of bass, but it won't be the same. Same goes for stage width, they'll always sound cramped in comparison.

If you're listening to a well made binaural recording, good IEMs will, in general, sound better than headphones.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len Moskowitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look at Etymotic's own frequency response curve and you'll see what I hear from our ER-4Ss:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-ts.aspx

A very broad 11 dB peak at around 3 KHz is not pleasant. Compared to a Grado HP-1000 or a Sennheiser HD-580, in my opinion they're not in the same class.

Of course, if you actually read all their website, you'd know why it has the FR it does:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Mead Killion
No. I think the main reason is a lack of understanding of what a high-fidelity earphone needs to do. There have been three major studies of the sound pressure developed at the eardrum by a sound field: Wiener and Ross (1946), Shaw (1976), and Killion and Monser (1978). All showed a nearly identical frequency response that included a 15 dB boost in pressure at 2.8 kHz coming from the combined resonance and horn action of the concha and ear canal. When you insert an earphone in the ear, it destroys this resonance, so an earphone with a "flat" response at the eardrum sounds very dull, which you can hear for yourself in some of the products at CES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back