IEMs and sound quality
Apr 20, 2007 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Funk4U

New Head-Fier
The question is simple: can IEMs sound as good as a good open headphones?
I'm using my DAPs with Koss Porta Pro and PX100 with fine results but i need insulation!
I've tried some cheapy stuffs like CX300 (the original one) and other low end IEM (Marshmellow, Koss Sparkplug) but i must say that i did not like at all them!
The sound was too congested and coloured for my taste...
rolleyes.gif

I would like to have an audiophile oriented sound (i usually listen every kind of music: electronic, ambient, drum n' bass but also, jazz, classic, opera and ancient music), full body with a good low end and extended but smooth and not aggressive high frequency range.
I need insulation but for me SQ is a must!
Is possible to have the same (or better!) performance of a Porta Pro with IEMs in the 200/300$ range?
For example, UM2 can do the job?
Please, et me know your opinions!
P.S.: i will go unamped!
cool.gif

Many thanks!

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 25
I own a.o. A PX100 and Shure E4. No comparison, the Shures sound much better, especially on the road.
But at home I often prefer the openess and ease of f.i. the Senns.
Despite this, I love the sq of the E4s.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 25
Yes,

Shure E300s and UE Superfi 5 and the new UEs with 3 drivers. I have the Superfi 5s and they are awsome. I still have a few comfort issues with IEMs though, nothing major just enough to want to gravitate to me Senn HD650s for longer listening sessions.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTERTECH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE-10PRO

Ouch!
blink.gif

tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4P

Ok, but what about the bass?
From what i have read, they do not seem to be great performers on this side!
Remember, i'm looking for a full body and "complete" representation, with bass capable to go down flat as my (old version) PX100...

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 25
I used Etys ER-6 and sounded great but after a few months I changed microfilter never ever sounded well. Now I own M-Audio IE-10...and night and day!! they sound "open" not bassy, airy...altought we're talking IEM, I'm really happy with them
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk4U /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember, i'm looking for a full body and "complete" representation, with bass capable to go down flat as my (old version) PX100...

I think it would be rather hard to find a better sounding IEM than the Etymotic ER-4S. If you're concerned about having a "flat" bass response, then check out the =471]ER-4S frequency response graph. I've owned and used a lot of different headphones, and none of them, to my ears, sounds as good as these.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEM's can sound very good indeed, and add to that the isolation and portability, it's all pretty impressive. Can they sound as good as a well amplified high quality full size headphone? No

i'll have to disagree. some iem's do have the capability to sound as good, if not better in some respects, than a high quality full size headphone. the main area where i see iem's falling short is in matching the stage width a full size headphone can produce.

given the budget, my vote would go to the shure e500's.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk4U /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to realise the difference between deep bass and loud bass.
ER4 has deep bass, as many will attest. The bass you're probably looking for is bloated and far from accurate, judging by Ety's standards. In fact, they'll disappoint you where non-aggressive high frequency range is concerned.

The Shure E4 is something you might want to consider, when you decide to audition some potential candidates.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay spec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll have to disagree. some iem's do have the capability to sound as good, if not better in some respects, than a high quality full size headphone. the main area where i see iem's falling short is in matching the stage width a full size headphone can produce.

given the budget, my vote would go to the shure e500's.

I thought the E500's were quite nice, but the rolled off highs and slightly muddy sound sent me looking for something else, then I tried the ER-4P, these were more to my liking and sounded pretty sweet, but while the bass is indeed there it had me listening to hard to hear it. Off I went again and ended up with the Triple.fi 10 Pro. These sounded really sweet, but the design is horrible. More to my original point, every time I listened to these IEM's I thought to myself, these sound amazing and must be the equal of full sized cans, then I put on my DT-880's or HD-650's and it became clear. Full size can's are superior in every way save for portability and isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back