IEM's and air pressure inside the ears
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 36
It would be great if that helps and you will not hate me afterwards 😁
If it doesn't work, I'll just go back to foams. I have enough random tips to experiment.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #17 of 36
If it doesn't work, I'll just go back to foams. I have enough random tips to experiment.
You can also rotate the tip if it seems not working, I ended up with a thought that the hole should be in the most stretched place when tip is inside your ear and not in the most compressed place.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 36
You can pierce a hole in any silicon tip. This little hole will not affect the noise cancelling but will let the pressure to equalize no matter how deep you pushed your iem. I've been using this for a decade because my left ear somehow tries to reject the iem and removes the bass in several minutes of listening to vacuum iems. This never happens with iems that has vents in them.

The pierced hole should be in the right place so your ear will not close it (for spin fits you can pierce from inside through the place that makes spinfits what they are). Also after this you should remember which of 2 tips is pierced and not to tear them apart while removing.

It helps me, but may be no help for you, you should understand that you can waste your ear tip. The point is that this little hole closes by itself when there is no pressure or it is not enough to escape, that is why it doesn't affect the noise cancelling. Use this advise at your own risk. Also give your iem a moment for this hole to work, since it is small and closed by itself it works not instantly but very mildly. I have never pierced 2 holes, 1 was always enough.
20210215_170543.jpg20210215_170549.jpg20210215_170714.jpg20210215_170737.jpg
Let me know if that helped someone, I would be happy. Because this issue driven me mad and I would pay for this solution back in a day :ksc75smile:
Does not work with Sonys Hybrid Silicon, at least not for me. They are to soft and the hole is just "closed". If you make it big enough that it does have an effect, then they just stop sealing right or break altogether.

Pulling my ear back/up/whatever and most importantly, not push on the opposide side of the sound tube but on the earphone as a whole does the trick for me. I push them in as much as possible (as a whole) and then, while still pushing them slightly, release the ear and let off the hand.

For my ears and the IER-M9 that causes a perfect seal with absolutely no pressure. Sometimes i have to re-insert them after a few minutes because the inside of my ears kinda adjust to them and i have to "re-seal" but after the second time, they sit perfectly tight for hours.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #20 of 36
I do high altitude hiking with my IEMs. I also find Ety tuning to be my favorite and sounds like music should. As you might imagine they do not work for high altitude stuff since I need to equalize pressure every 10 mins or so. I set out to find a IEM set that I can actually use. What I ended up with is the Shuoer EJ07. It's tuned exactly like the ety in mids and treble but has a nice fat subbass rise. I use Comply foam tips which seal extremely well and yet allow air to escape slowly. Win!

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 36
I cannot use any full-closed IEM because of this pressure feeling described here. Sold Shure IEMs because of this.

What you need are front-vented IEMs (small pressure relief hole in front of the driver). What I use are the Final E3000 (or any in that series) They are vented.

In terms of TWS: Jabra 85t (own), Airpods Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro. These all have proper pressure-relief vents. Or the new Jabra Elite 7 Pro.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #22 of 36
I cannot use any full-closed IEM because of this pressure feeling described here. Sold Shure IEMs because of this.

What you need are front-vented IEMs (small pressure relief hole in front of the driver). What I use are the Final E3000 (or any in that series) They are vented.

In terms of TWS: Jabra 85t (own), Airpods Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro. These all have proper pressure-relief vents. Or the new Jabra Elite 7 Pro.
Vented IEMs are always a compromise.

I had lots of Earphones in the past (most of them vented, some not) and i never had such a good sound and good isolation at the same time as with full closed IEMs.

You either sacrifice sound or isolation if you have venting.

I tested several shures in the past and the biggest issue for me was the Tip Size. Even with the SE846 Pro i have not found a Tip Size that caused comfort, good isolation and good sound without pressure at the same time.

In that price range, thats not accaptable. Even the way cheaper IER-M7 comes with 7 sizes of Hybrid Silicon and 6 sizes of Trible Comfort (like foam).

The SE846 Pro comes with 3 size for each type.

So the SE846 Pro i can not use because at some point, it will cause preassure in my ear and i need to constantly re-insert them (i had the same Issue with the FiiO FA9). The IER-M9 i can wear for hours even though they're both closed.

And the size that fits best for me with the IER-M9 is the (S) size, so just average small, not even SS or SM or something like that. I don't know why S doesn't fit me with the FA9 and the SE846 Pro but whatever causes this, i can totally understand your problem.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 36
Vented IEMs are always a compromise.

I had lots of Earphones in the past (most of them vented, some not) and i never had such a good sound and good isolation at the same time as with full closed IEMs.

You either sacrifice sound or isolation if you have venting.

I tested several shures in the past and the biggest issue for me was the Tip Size. Even with the SE846 Pro i have not found a Tip Size that caused comfort, good isolation and good sound without pressure at the same time.

In that price range, thats not accaptable. Even the way cheaper IER-M7 comes with 7 sizes of Hybrid Silicon and 6 sizes of Trible Comfort (like foam).

The SE846 Pro comes with 3 size for each type.

So the SE846 Pro i can not use because at some point, it will cause preassure in my ear and i need to constantly re-insert them (i had the same Issue with the FiiO FA9). The IER-M9 i can wear for hours even though they're both closed.

And the size that fits best for me with the IER-M9 is the (S) size, so just average small, not even SS or SM or something like that. I don't know why S doesn't fit me with the FA9 and the SE846 Pro but whatever causes this, i can totally understand your problem.

I agree about less isolation with vented IEMs but not with lower sound quality. They are engineered with the vented design in mind, they don't sound worse than closed, per se. Sometimes the venting is just a tiny hole with a transparent paper filter covering it, so it doesn't effect bass or SQ in general. But this tiny hole is enough to release that pressure (SoundMagic E10 for example).
Ultimately it's all about priorities. I don't need isolation. At all. (walks, mountain climbing) and I can't stand that closed-in / pressure feeling, so for me is vented or nothing :) And I only use IEMs in high heat or on the mountain in. Otherwise, outside I use Porta Pros or XM4 maybe 9-10 months a year.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 36
Yeah, sorry I meant the over-ears WH-1000XM4. I'm not a fan of in-ears in general, I only use them in hot weather.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 36
Yeah, sorry I meant the over-ears WH-1000XM4. I'm not a fan of in-ears in general, I only use them in hot weather.
It's the exact opposide for me.

The MDR-Z1R I can wear for a relative long time, but even they start to push my glasses slowly into my skull and engrave them.

When I enjoy my Over Ear for a longer time, I always take off my glasses and so can't do anything else

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #27 of 36
Just for the record - after countless models and constant tip-swapping the issue with pressure built-up in canal annoyed me so much in the end that I've moved from IEMS to full-sized open backs at home and a simple full-sized noise cancelling pair for traveling. Never again I'll stick that torture device in my ear. I guess it's just me but I didn't find the iem that I can use more than an hour without discomfort.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 36
Just for the record - after countless models and constant tip-swapping the issue with pressure built-up in canal annoyed me so much in the end that I've moved from IEMS to full-sized open backs at home and a simple full-sized noise cancelling pair for traveling. Never again I'll stick that torture device in my ear. I guess it's just me but I didn't find the iem that I can use more than an hour without discomfort.

Have you tried Jabra Elite 85t or any of the above? (Airpods Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro)
I use Jabra Elite 85t for two years paired with some silicone 3rd party ear-wings and I have no closed-in/pressure feeling anymore and they sound amazing.

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 36
Have you tried Jabra Elite 85t or any of the above? (Airpods Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro)
I use Jabra Elite 85t for two years paired with some silicone 3rd party ear-wings and I have no closed-in/pressure feeling anymore and they sound amazing.
Nope, the best one that worked for me were ibasso IT-03, but as I said after moving to open backs I really lost any interest in in-ears.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #30 of 36
Nope, the best one that worked for me were ibasso IT-03, but as I said after moving to open backs I really lose any interest in in-ears.

Yeah, the idea was to use front-vented design to release that pressure but I agree, I also prefer full size open backs or even foam on-ears like the Porta Pro, lately I use the PX8 a lot which are amazing, the Jabra 85t only gets used in high heat outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back