IEM with the sound of HD600s?
May 5, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by minasoko
Wow, thanks so much for your responses, everyone! You've all really pointed me in the right direction. Looks like I'll be waiting for everyone's E500 impressions (although I'm kind of afraid of going with Shure again) and doing more UM2 research in the meantime.

Doesn't seem like my decision will be an easy or cheap one. With Head-Fi, is it ever?
tongue.gif

Thanks again for all of your help.
600smile.gif

Have you read the E500 impressions in the national meet impressions threads?

May 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 21
Trying to match the sound quality of circum-aural headphones, such as the HD600, with an IEM is fraught with uncertainty.

Since birth, we have all learned to adapt to the way our hearing is affected by the shape and size of the external (pinna) and internal (ear canal) parts of our ears. This "filtering" effect is part of the so-called head-related transfer function, or HRTF.

With circum-aural (and, to a lesser extent, supra-aural) headphones, the sound is produced outside the ear; so it is affected by the pinna and ear canal in much the same way as sounds heard without headphones. These types of headphones are usually designed with "diffuse field equalization", which aims for a flat frequency response inside the volume enclosed by the ear cups. The properties of this volume are affected by the size (but not so much by the shape) of the pinna and by the effectiveness of the seal against the head of the listener; but there is not too much variation in these factors from one person to the next. For this reason, most people hear a similar frequency balance from any given set of headphones of this type.

With an IEM, however, the the pinna is bypassed entirely, as is most of the ear canal: the sound is produced inside the ear. In order to produce a "natural" sound, the IEM must be equalized to simulate the effects of the missing ear parts: diffuse field equalization will not work. Because there is so much variation in individual HRTFs, the best the IEM designer can do is aim for some sort of "average" and hope for the best. A complicating factor is that many people have significant differences in the HRTFs for their left and right ears: these listeners will perceive a different frequency balance in each ear, which has a negative effect on their ability to recreate a convincing soundstage. For these reasons, there is considerable variation, from one listener to the next, in the sound of a particular IEM.

In the broadest terms, there will be some agreement on the characteristics of different IEMs. Most people, for instance, find that the Etymotics ER4 has lean bass and lively treble while the Shure E5c has weighty bass and rolled-off treble. Finding consensus on the finer details, let alone on a comparison with particular headphones, is another matter altogether.

May 5, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
If it helps at all, I absolutely hated the E2c and dislike IEMs in general, but enjoyed the E500 at the national meet. I'd wait for the version without the "Push to Hear" feature though... that thing had a very poor microphone and a negative impact on the sound quality. I suspect it's cheaply made. The E500 IEMs though are absolute tops. Really really satisfying sound.

Wow..this is exactly how i feel. I had the er4p and disliked the sound. Even the super.fi 5 sounded "small" but the e500 is awesome. Maybe it's the triple drivers? It would also be interesting how the XXX will improve upon the super.fi 5.

May 5, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 21
The best IEMs possible right now are ACS's T2 models if you would like to go the custom route. They will even top HD600.

You are right machead, but do not forget that IEMs are a fairly new technology compared to full-sized headphones. Improvements in this field happen nowadays almost on a daily basis. Right now the very ACS's T2's are getting even better constantly in every aspect.

If custom IEMs are not an option for you (though I highly recommend this one as the way to go) than probably E500s, but I haven't heard them yet.

May 5, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #21 of 21
I used to be dead set on a pair of ACS T2, but after other priorities forced me to put them off a bit, I reconsidered. With the rate of new IEM releases, I think now that Shure e500's or whatever best-universal-IEM-of-the-moment plus custom sleeves gives you the best of both worlds- custom fit and comfort, excellent sound, but resale opportunity and quick upgradeability. There's much less liability involved in a custom sleeve than a custom phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back